sli & crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidsteve

Daemon Poster
hey guys

been a bit since i asked stuff and i got a few things i would like to ask

i am thinking of upgrading my mobo and graphics (even though the 4850 is still pretty new) and just wondered a few things befor i did

what resalution dose sli and crossfire start becomming good, i been about a bit and found that anything less then say a 22" in a waste in tearms of sli and what not but got a 26" with a native res of 1920x1080 and looking at getting one with better res soon

the second thing is whats worth the more price / proformance at the min

and lastly

i have a oem windows vist used on this system (in my sig) would i be ablt to move it over to the new mobo or is it stuck with the mobo being oem and all

I would say, and this is my opinion, at 1900x1200 it should show a benefit.

The only thing with sli or crossfire is that you don't get a 100% performance gain from the 2nd card....it is more like 35%....so it is not a great bang for your dollar kind of thing, and pretty much useless unless you are at 1900x1200 or above.

I've been running SLI for a long time. Started with a pair of 7800GTX's and now I've got a pair of GTX 280's :D

It's hard to say just what kind of an experience you'll have without knowing what cards you'll be using and the games you like to play. As it stands for me I can play every game I own maxed out at 1920x1200. But there's alway the next new game that demands a little more for all the eye candy.

My advise is 2 is always better than 1. You may not need the power today but there's always tomorrow :D

I would say, and this is my opinion, at 1900x1200 it should show a benefit.

The only thing with sli or crossfire is that you don't get a 100% performance gain from the 2nd card....it is more like 35%....so it is not a great bang for your dollar kind of thing, and pretty much useless unless you are at 1900x1200 or above.

A Single 4830 handles games alright @1680x1050, while two handle games maxed out @1920x1200.

Crossfire scales very well, especially the 4800 series. From what I've heard GTX 200 scales very well too.

Ya SLI and Xfire scaling has greatly improved from years past. I would recommend a gtx285 and then if you need it, grab another one. Or you could just get a gtx295.

For a little cheaper option, 4870's in xfire would do pretty well too.

As for your OS, yes it is stuck on that mobo but if you call microsoft and tell them your mobo broke and you had to replace it, they will activate it for you. no biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom