dvd drive "gone" after wrong intel inf. install

Status
Not open for further replies.

necrophyte

Baseband Member
i just tried a driver update app (driver genius professional edition) in order to see whether there are some updated drivers for devices i cannot find drivers for or dont know where to look and it found a chipset driver (intel_inf_9101012). i ran that update and since it didnt tell me that my hardware was incompatible, which it should have told me, since intel driver updates etc. always tell that, i didnt really look at the installation and it finished normally. since restart, my dvd drive has problems in the device manager and it isnt present in my computer.

device manager says:
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

i rolled back the drivers for the devices i can remember of being updated by that inf update, which i afterwards found out was only for some specific desktop boards.. but the problem still persists - maybe i didnt roll back the faulty one, since everything else works fine (now i installed the correct inf update for my chipset again).

my specs:

hp 8510p gb967#akn business notebook
winxp pro sp3

wrong inf update intel_inf_9101012 installed (correct would be intel matrix storage manager 8.7.0.1007 & intel chipset software installation utility 9.0.0.1008 for ich8/9)

dvd drive: hl-dt-st dvdram gsa-t20L
driver ver. 5.1.2535.0, date 01.07.2001

also a device called
IX9500U GVP631H SCSI CdRom Device
now appears twice under DVD/CD-ROM Drives together with hl-dt-st dvdram gsa-t20L and has the same driver.

thank you for your help!

ps: any advice where to find updated drivers for this dvd drive (hl-dt-st dvdram gsa-t20L)?

Have you gone onto HP's website and downloaded the chipset drivers from there for your model and reinstalled those ones?

Have you tried doing a system restore? It reverts back to a previous save point. You can use this to go back to a point "BEFORE" you installed your update. After a restart windows should be exactly the way it was prior to your mistake / issue. "in theory"...

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > System restore

About: How to restore Windows XP to a previous state

i looked at hp's drivers and first installed the one found there, then the newer one from intel, like i had it before this happened. everythings ok now with the chipset drivers. running system restore would be last resort since i think i should be able to solve the problem directly and i want to learn something by doing it by myself.

i think ill run that intel_inf_9101012 again and look at each single step it performs (thanks intel that this is being displayed during such installations) and then seacrch for the ones i seem not to have reinstalled the correct drivers afterwards for.

now i also looked at the device manager in the devices by connection view and saw that:

hl-dt-st dvdram gsa-t20L
is under
Primary IDE channel
which itself is part of
Inter (R) ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850

and

the two
IX9500U GVP631H SCSI CdRom Device
are below
SCSI/RAID Host Controller

so now i know which deveices probably caused the problems - Inter (R) ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850 & SCSI/RAID Host Controller.

btw i tried booting the notebook with my os cd and it succeeded, so the problem is only with windows..

i also tried physically removing the drive, booting (when booted, windows detected this IX9500U GVP631H SCSI CdRom Device two times again although the drive was removed) and inserting the drive back while in windows, and the problem is still there.

this is what those "3" dvd drives now look like. is it maybe a conflict problem? i have no idea what this IX9500U GVP631H SCSI CdRom Device is supposed to be as it is still recognized when the dvd drive (hl-dt-st dvdram gsa-t20L) is physically removed and appears twice in my device manager..

the only other thing i can imagine of being possible is a kind of mounted drive caused by pinnacle tv center pro 5.4.1.3038 i also installed yesterday, which now is in a row with my dvd drive..

Attachments

• devmgr.jpg
    devmgr.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 724
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom