netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApolloIV

In Runtime
Anyone have any hands on experiences with netbooks? I've been looking into getting one but not to sure what to go with. Bestbuy has an HP on sale for $350 with a 16gb ssd but I'm not sure if i want to go with a ssd just yet. Newegg has some pretty nice ones but I'm not sure what to really look for in a netbook :embaressed:

I'd probably recommend the more expensive model at 380 bucks. It's got wireless-n capabilities, and a 6 cell battery. Then I'd personally spend another 20 bucks to get a nice 2gb stick of RAM that has heatsinks, because with the MSI Wind and good RAM, you can overclock the CPU up to 1.9ghz, which gives it a nice boost.

I just bought an Acer Aspire one 8.9 a couple days ago for 299.99 (CA) and I am just amazed. It has to be the coolest little thing I bought in a while. Mine has 1gb ddr2 and an Intel Adam 1.6ghz with a 8 gb ssd with another 8gb sd card running XP home. The screen is really clear and sharp. The good thing about the SSD version is it is easy to mod. A lot of people are installing 1.8" drives in these ones and you don't need the thicker & heaver 2.5" HDD version for about 100 more. I really don't require alot of space for what I use this for but I might just buy a 32 GB SDHC card for now.

Thanks for the replies. I cant really decide! I'm looking at this one:
Newegg.com - MSI Wind U120-001US Intel Atom N270(1.60GHz) 10.0" WSVGA 1GB Memory 160GB HDD Netbook - Netbooks

It was rated number 2 out of 10 on cnet and it sounds pretty good. I the thing I can't choose though is if I should go with an SSD or not... I've read it's not really worth it yet because ssd aren't really optimized yet and you only get the benefit from the quick boot and if you need to access small files. I wanted to put music on it but if i can get a high quality ssd I'm not going to worry about it. Also is a standard hdd really necessary in a net book?

I would hold out on ssd's for now because most of the ones that come with netbooks are small and tend not to be that fast. You can always replace the hard drive with a ssd when they become more affordable.

The Hp is nice looking but the Wind is a lot cheaper and has a faster cpu.

I agree.

I would like to stay away from HP tho, I've only had troubles with their products.
I'm looking at the wind u120 and the wind u100 and the only thing I see different is that the u120 doesn't have bluethooth or wireless n.. but to be honest I don't think I'll miss the benefits of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom