Gaming PC for $1000 or less

Status
Not open for further replies.

kershner

Baseband Member
Alright guys, just came into some money (thanks, college!), and I'm looking to build a PC.

I've got a budget of $1000, looking for the absolute maximum bang for my buck. I need a monitor, have the OS covered (64 bit, naturally).

Alright, work your magic, thanks in advance guys! Any more info, let me know!

PS, I would really like to go quad if at all possible (or reccomended, feel free to discuss!)

I saw some $800 builds just a few topics below with i7...is your build right here better?

And it will be for gaming/everyday use...pretty much a normal high-end computer.

-EDIT...also, no aftermarket cooler?

Also, how much better than the regular ''22 Acer monitor is that ''23?

Their i7 builds didn't include a monitor, if it weren't for that, then you could maybe get i7.

I just threw in the 1080p version of that monitor, wasn't sure what you were looking for. But you can get the normal version if you want. For an extra $20 you get a bigger screen size and resolution, 1920 x 1080 vs 1680 x 1050 with the 22". And it has HDMI.

Do you plan on overclocking? If not, then the factory heatsink will be fine. But if you really want one, here is a good one:
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Oh you better believe that I'll be overclocking! How is the 9400 for O/Cing, while we're at it?

Also, I have a Sunbeam Core Contact in a different computer, but I'm not totally in love with it...was thinking about trying the Arctiq...any thoughts on this?

I think I'm going to go with the standard Antec 300 case...anyone have anything especially positive to say about it?

Am I going to be totally missing out with the 512mb 4870 vs. the 1gb?

And finally...do I need to get some kind of ethernet card to hook up the mobo to cable internet (the last computer I built didn't have one, which confused me as it was my first build)?

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll go with that monitor, as well.

9400 is OK ocer, nothing too special. you will probably be able to get 3.4-3.6 max out of it.
i think you mean arctic freezer? sunbeam is superior to it.
antec 300 is a pretty good case for 50 bucks.
at 1920 resolution, yes the 1gb will help quite a bit over the 512. the 512 will still totally be playable though.
motherboard will probably have an ethernet cable EDIT: newegg specs for that biostar mobo do not say it has an ethernet cable. so, yes, you will need to get one unless you have one lying around somewhere. oh wait you said "card" i thought you said cable my bad.
no, the motherboard has onboard ethernet connections. you do not need a card.

Removed this first part about ethernet as I didn't fully read your last post, thanks.

Is it going to be worth it for me to have the ''23 monitor and the 512mb 4870? I can easily go with the ''22, my girlfriend has one and it's still very nice (although the prospects of a higher resolution really intrigues me).

Also, one last thing I need clearing up on...the Quads are clocked a lot slower than the C2Ds...does this matter? Someone sell me on the Q9400! Thanks guys, this forum is always so helpful.

yes the 512 will work fine with the monitor you have selected. in some heavy duty games, you would notice a difference in performance, but it is not going to be mind-blowing or anything. i'd go with the highest res/largest monitor you can. quads will be a little slower in some apps and a lot of games unless you overclock it. but when it comes to ripping DVDs or encoding, the quad will trump unless you are running a massive OC on the dual (which is fairly easy to do). if you can swing it, i'd shoot for a 9450 or 9550 as they have more cache which is going to help in the gaming department. but the rig you have put together is a pretty good machine for that amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom