Choosing new monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
Okie dokie, time for my NEXT upgrade. The 4870 is rocking my socks, but I need some new display's. My Sony 19" LCD is GREAT, but the 17-19" CRT next to it takes up WAAAYYYY too much space on my desk. I have ANOTHER CRT to go on the other side of the LCD, but the desk isn't deep enough there to hold it.

Here is where I have options, and I am not too sure where to head. My first option is to score some 19" LCD's from a buddy. His old boss at a stock trading company is selling a bunch of 19" LCD's for $100 flat. I have NO details yet about Brand/Model of the monitors though, so I haven't commited to anything there. This option would give me 3 19" monitors all in a row.

My second option would be to upgrade to a SINGLE larger display, maybe 22-24" depending on price, but I am not too sure what my budget is at this time. I KNOW that the ceiling is $400, but I am not sure how much of that I want to spend. If I go this route, I will likely setup the large LCD as center display, 19" LCD as right display, and CRT as left display.

My problem is that I just can't figure out what I want to do. As I said, I have a single 4870, and I COULD buy another 4870 if needed to drive a larger display, wouldn't be a problem. At what point would I need to add another 4870 to drive the display(s)? (Number/size of displays...)... It's been so long since I have set up my dual monitors that I forget the details. Do both have to be set to the same resolution? If thats the case, it probably wouldn't be a good idea for a 22-24" next to a 19".

Next, how does multi-monitor support work in games? I have yet to try this, since with my current CRT and LCD, when I start a game, the CRT goes black, and the gaming is done on the LCD. Is it good practice to match up the same Brand/Model displays when gaming with more than 1 monitor?

Anyone have suggestions about monitor companies? Who to stay away from, who to look further into, who's got best performance, who's got best bang for the buck?

if it were me i would go for a larger main display and use the 19" sony for a second monitor.

as far as gaming goes with my 9800GTX i can game on my main acer 20" and have my 17" crt displaying things like windows media player, temp monitors, ect.

Is there something special you have to do to enable something like that on the secondary display?? When I do that on my current setup, all I get is black on the secondary screen....

Also, CAN you game on multiple monitors?

well, i can split the game and have half on one monitor and half on the other but it sucks.

and you have a 4870 i dont know about that, but under the nvidia control pannel it's called dual view.

Actually, the cheapest I've seen a 22" with that reso was 190 bucks, which isn't bad for a 22" in the first place, lol. But I would still prefer a 24" myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom