Loud buzzing noise from Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman316

Solid State Member
Posted a thread about my HD failing 2 days ago and how to back it up.

I got it all backed up successfully, and with the 500GB in there.
Weird thing though, theres this continues, pretty loud, buzzing/clamping noise.

About 6 months ago, when i purchased this 500GB from NCIX, i tried using it and it made the same noise. Then i went and exchanged it for another new one, same thing. So its not the HD itself i dont think.

Could it be the power? Iv got a 430W in there, with a 500GB HD, Dual Core 3800+ 2GB, and a Radeon EAX1800XL in there.

I didnt hear this noise with my 160GB, n the 500 in there is pretty **** loud and clampy, non-stop.

Is it the power? Is it risky? Should i stop using the computer? Or no big deal?

Thanks.

I know what a buzzing sound is, but what is a clamping/clampy sound?
I'm really not being sarcastic here, I'm just trying to better understand the sound so I can help you.

Could it possibly be a random wire too close to a fan? Have you tried opening up the case while it's running to better isolate where the sound is coming from exactly?

I know what a buzzing sound is, but what is a clamping/clampy sound?
I'm really not being sarcastic here, I'm just trying to better understand the sound so I can help you.

Could it possibly be a random wire too close to a fan? Have you tried opening up the case while it's running to better isolate where the sound is coming from exactly?

Ahh, thats a good idea.

Well its hard to explain but its loud for .45 of a second, a deep clamp noise, then loud for the other .45 of the second. Iv opened the case and made sure the cables arent to close to the fan before. Its a loud clampy cutting noise =/

Anyways, the noise if coming from the Hard Drive. So its either my cables (which work fine with my other HD), the HD (which was brand new from NCIX, tried 2 of them and both the same noise) or the Power. Could it be the power?

Dont really wanna take it to a shop, theyll charge like $60 to just look at it. But seems i gotta.

Anyone got ne ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom