Removing Vista from Laptop to install on Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominican2589

Baseband Member
I bought a Dell laptop which came with Vista Home Premium installation CD. I go to college and my school gave me a copy of Vista Business. So I was wondering, so that I can have Vista on a desktop that I have, could I just use the CD that came with my laptop and its serial code so that I can use Media Center and just install Vista Business on my laptop?

The problem that I want to know is if there would be any problem with me removing vista from one machine and then using its serial code on another. Any kind of OEM issue arise?

Yes, OEM you get ONE license install. So after you've activated that install, in order to install that OS on another system you're going to have to uninstall it from the original machine, install it on the new machine, then call Microsoft for them to give you the activation key (as it will say you've already exceeded the allowed installs for that CD).

You could install Vista business on your laptop, the issue is the desktop install. Most laptop OS CD's aren't really Microsoft OS CD's, they have the OS, Drivers, and System Applications that originally came with the laptop. That CD will only work on a Dell laptop of that same model number. So while yes, you can install Vista Business on your laptop, you will not be able to use the laptop CD on another machine unless it is an identical laptop.

What you could do is install vista business on the desktop, and leave vista home premium on the laptop. Or if you've already installed vista business on the laptop just uninstall it and reinstall the original OS, then install vista business on the desktop (if it is OEM you'll have to activate through phone).

thanks

that sucks. the reason i wanted to put home premium on the desktop is because i wanted to make it into a dvr. i cannot do it on my laptop since i carry it around with me to school so while i am at school, shows wouldn't get recorded

Technically that's against the EULA to remove an OEM copy of Windows and put it on another machine. OEM installs are technically non-transferable (1 machine). It can still be done, just be aware it's technically against the EULA ;).

Lets say I were to use the CD that came with my laptop and use it to install it on the desktop, does it know right away that the license has been used or does it allow me the 30-day trial?

If you choose not to activate over the internet (if you do it will automatically find out that its been installed), and instead choose activate by phone, it should give you 30 days in which to do that activation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom