Who's PSU can you paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat.Clown

I don't overclock
A lotta modders like to to re-paint the insides of their beloved case to a color of their liking

well, what about Power Supplies?

I e-mailed couple manufactures asking if re-painting the power supply casing is allowed without voiding the warranty
I'd like to share the results

question asked:

will I still be covered by (company name)'s warranty if I paint the power supply unit to a different color with the fan opening and warranty sticker masked?

answers:

Antec Rep, Peter Kha: NO
(funny guy, in the e-mail he typed thks instead of thanks)

BFG Rep, Tim S: YES

Corsair Rep, RAM GUY: YES
*actually I asked Corsair through their support forum, not e-mail
you may view the thread here: Corsair PSU Warranty Policy - The Corsair Support Forums

OCZ rep, Walt Willis: NO
*PC P&C is owned by OCZ, so I expect the same

Seasonic USA Rep, Kevin Han: NO

Silverstone: NO

*if my wording is confusing - yes = still covered by warranty, no = voids warranty when psu painted

*2 these are currently the brands I'd buy from on Newegg, other brands weren't included because of the following reasons:
a) not as competitive with pricing
b) I don't want my computer to start a fire
laugh.gif

let me know if you guys would like to see the exact replies I received
feel free to share your results from other brands

Hunh, I would've expected OCZ to let you do that.

I would repaint mine if it wasn't already the colour I wanted :p

I dunno why PC Power and Cooling would not allow you to.

Seeing as the power supply itself has no warranty void if opened stickers on it at all...

Though to be honest it doesn't really matter because the PC P&C psu's never die.

There are no stickers but in every manual it states to not open the casing ever.

And on their warranty page online they then say this:

This warranty shall not apply to any product which has been subject to connection to a faulty power source, alteration, negligence, or accident, or to any product which has been installed other than in accordance with the instructions.

Taken from here: PC Power and Cooling, Inc. - Warranty

So the warranty is void if altered at all.

I dunno why PC Power and Cooling would not allow you to.

Seeing as the power supply itself has no warranty void if opened stickers on it at all...

Though to be honest it doesn't really matter because the PC P&C psu's never die.

What he ^ said.

My Silencer 750 is currently disassembled, stripped and in a dozen different pieces right now...have total confidence it will work good as new once put back together unless I screw something up myself. Have no need for a warranty :p

I dunno why you would paint any PSU silver...I try to stay away from silver colored PSU's, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom