Quick RAM question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
Hey, I got 4GB of RAM, just wondering if I should chuck it in there with my current 2GB; having only a 32-bit system, other than not seeing all the RAM, will there be any negative effects of having 6GB in there?

Well I'm using 64-bit Ubuntu, so I'll leave it in for that. Not that I could ever sensibly use that much in Ubuntu :p

Edit: Also outta curiosity what's your avatar from?

One negative effect would be more electicitah useage. No positive effect , though.

I recognize Dave Chappel there. I'm Rick James , biotch!!

Unless the timings are the same I wouldn't risk putting mixed ram in together

Well it's both Corsair RAM, timings are different tho :cyclopes: I guess I'll probably just put the 4GB in and drop the 2GB I have already into my mum's machine.

Edit: By timings do you mean like 4-4-4-12, or 800Mhz? I'm assuming the former. Cos the former are different, but the latter are the same.

there's no problem running ram with different timings. say one set has 4-4-4-12 @ 800mhz and one set has 5-5-5-15 @ 800mhz, you can (probably....depends on your mobo) adjust the 4 timings up to 5 timings and they will be fine. you will lose a little speed, but you aint gonna notice that. or you can leave the slow (5 timings) ram out and just use the fast (4 timings). or you can take out the fast and use the slow lol its up to you. but its is definitely possible and not a big deal to use ram with different timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom