home networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

karen

Beta member
I would like to network two computers together so that they may share an internet connection. One computer has Windows XP home edition and the other has Windows ME. The XP computer is upstairs and is currently connected to DSL. (SBC/Yahoo DSL) The computer downstairs has ethernet but, becuase there is alot of brick and concrete, I'd like to use wireless.

Can I use a 802.11g wireless DSL router attached upstairs and a 802.11b USB adapter to the computer downstairs? I think I would like a 802.11g but cannot find it w/ a USB adapter.

Also, there are access points, routers, bridges, hubs, switches, etc. What do I need?

802.11G is backwards compatable.

All you need to do, is get the 802.11g DSL router, connect your DSL modem to it, and your router manufacturer can help you set it up.

Then install the 802.11b USB wireless adapter to the downstairs computer, and if its less that 150ft away, i believe, you should be all set.

Would this be okay? (LNK WRT54G Product Specs Specification):

Product Description Linksys Wireless-G 4-Port Broadband Router

Three devices in one: a wireless access point to connect Wireless-G/802.11b devices to network, a built-in 4-port 10/100 switch to connect wired Ethernet devices, and a router to share cable/DSL connection with network. Backwards-compatible with 802.11b networks at 11Mbps. Share high-speed Internet connection, files, printers, and muliplayer games with security and ease. Easy installation and configuration with Setup Wizard and web-browser based aids Software Included Installation CD
System Requirements Windows 98/Me/2000/XP, 200MHz processor, 64MB RAM, Internet Explorer 4.0/Netscape Navigator 4.7 or higher, (for configuration), CD-ROM drive, Wireless-G or 802.11b wireless adapter or network adapter with Cat 5E network cable with TCP/IP protocol NOTE To complete your wireless broadband network, you will need a cable/DSL modem and high-speed broadband Internet connection. Each PC on the network should have either a wireless USB adapter or PC card (notebooks) or PCI (desktops) card.

Other Features Enhanced security: Internet access policies, website blocking, IP and MAC address filtering, port filtering, wireless address filtering

Yep, that and your wireless adapter for the computer should be all you need

Absolutely Great info,, and Great Product,,

The Linksys G wireless runs at the new 2.4 ghz frequency,, the only thing that I have heard any concerns of is if you have a wireless 2.4ghz phone,,, there is the possibility of data loss if the two are too close together,,,

the G is backward compatible to B,, and the max distance they say is about 300ft,, ( direct sight, you do the math for the variables)

Wireless is the way I had to go too,, I have an older home, and trying to wire it looked a nightmare,, so,, Linksys saved the day!

Cheers,

I just finished networking a computer with XP and 98se and a cable modem. All I had to do was add another NIC and run a crossover patch cable between the two. Run the network setup utility in the network neighborhood on both computers. As far as using a router or hub, you don't need one. You may have to order an additional IP address from your dsl provider, but that will be cheaper than purchasing a router. As far as the wiring...if you're dealing with two stories then the wireless may be a good idea. But if the computers are directly over one another, then i'd just run cabling through the floor and cieling. If you can get enough clearance in the wall to drill a hole through the 2x4 at the top of the wall, then thats what I'd do over going wireless.

Hmmm,, good thinking Matt,,

some thoughts,, what if you have more than two machines, or wish to expand your network?

I agree with Multi-homing an XP box,, into a switching hub and same expandability,, but then there are the walls,,
true,,you could start going around drilling holes, but that is only good in some instances of location,, the rest is an effort in futility,, however, if you dont mind having a house full of holes with wires hanging everywhere, well I guess that is a personal thing,,

As for paying for an additional IP,, why would I want to make a Magnate like ROGERS any more richer, and then lose the investment once I move?? Further, over time , the cost of the additional IP would evolve to meet the hardware purchase, and you would end up OWNING the hardware,, you dont own the IP..

Plus, this is a cool opportunity to use technology ,, hence the name Technology Forum,, not Bob Villa, not Trading Spaces,,

Regardless, you have provided correct info that would work for some,, others of us who like cool gadgets and blinky lights and owning investments,, well we might try something else,,

cheers,

Well Crash, maybe I should change my name to Bob Villa after all. But when was the last time you ever saw Bob Villa actually do any work? As far as having wires hanging everywhere, even with an older home its possible to network it without ever seeing a wire (except patch cables going to the wall). I answered the way I did because I'm a recent college graduate. Its a whole lot cheaper for me to buy some Cat 5 and some spare NICs than to go wireless. Some of us are price sensitive. And who knows, maybe Karen wants to change her name to Barbara Villa?

Seriously ,, your info was correct,, :)

I just know what a pain in the butt fishing wires through walls is like,, been there done that ,, now the blinky lights have me,, the fish tape is on the shelf,,,

And you never know,, Barbara Villa could be a big possiblility in this forum ;)

I lived in a frat where we had 50 to 100 foot cables running the stairs and hallways everywhere,, the landlord would not let us drill ,, but now I dont even want to think cable,, less i have to,,,
a new house is totally different story, you get in before the drywallers and no issues, things are great,,

just ramblin' now,,

Good on Ya Matt ! Cheers, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom