Noob, Gaming PC Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurora D.

Baseband Member
Ok, so after deciding between a PC or Playstation 3 I finally went with a PC. Now here is the bad part, I have practically no experience and when looking at a list of motherboards, CPU's, or what have you I can't for the life of me discern which is better or worse or what I even want. Luckily choosing and buying parts is all I have to do, because a friend with prior experience is going to build it for me. So, here's all I know so far: I have a budget of $1000, and hope for my build to have great graphics and little lag. So any reccomendations would be helpful, or even better could someone point me to a great website with noob information? Thanks a million.

Well for n00b information, our stickies are a good place to start..

But for $1000 you can get a really solid rig:

X4 II 940 or Q9450 (or you could go with Intel's Dual Cores)
Biostar 790GX or Biostar I45
Corsair 650tx
HD 4870 1GB
4GB DDR2 Kit
Case/ DVD/ HD/ Mice/ Keyboard/Monitor of your choice

Ok, but I kind of want to go with name brands. Like an Intel, Nvidia, etc. I have a couple of questions now, is the nvidia GTX worth the money rather than the nvidia geforce 9800? Also, what Intel processors fo you reccomend, quad core or duo? Thanks!

Q9450 is by Intel
HD 4870 is by AMD
Phenom II 940 are by AMD
GTX and 9800's are by nVidia

Ya the GTX series are better than the 9800 for the price, but the HD 4800 series are equal or better in performance and are generally cheaper

I gave the recommendations above, just too lazy to put model names..

As for the CPU's I'd go Quad because most of them are going 3.5ghz+ which is only about 500-800mhz less than where a e8000 or e7000 series Core 2 Duo would stop OC'ing at

Well if your budget doesn't include a monitor, you could go with a core i7.

Seriously? But there would be ridiculous balance in the rig

My spend is about 1,600, but I needed a new Monitor (220) and case (200ish) right there for my pics, plus some extra cables I didn't have, and shipping and handling.

My finished rig will be:
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
6GB OCZ 1600 Triple Channel RAM
1 TB Hard drive, for all my needs.
DVD rom/ SATA
1GB 4870 (or possibly these new 4890s coming out soon) Video

Prices have dropped some since I purchased some of these parts, and mail in rebates may be available as well, but most people really don't "need" a 1TB harddrive, which will save you about 40 bucks going for something smaller instead, and if you buy it all at once shipping should be lessened instead of seperate taxes on each purchase.

PS3 is rather sucky really. And all the games that have good down loadable content, won't have DLC for the PS3... which means PS really screwed themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom