Dimension 3100/E310 USB Keyboard & Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

resqtech

Baseband Member
I am working on a Dimension 3100/E310 and it only has the option of USB for keyboard and mouse. I plug a USB mouse and keyboard into the system and can get into the BIOS fine, but when Windows XP Media Center Edition loads to the log on screen the mouse and keyboard will not function and the keyboard number lock light stays on and doesn't respond. I have tried unplugging it and plugging it back in but then it won't light. Any ideas what is causing this? I have had this happen multiple times with this series of desktop.

If it has a PS2 port try using that for the moment (may have to use a converter to use the current keyboard and mouse). Might have to install the drivers that came with the keyboard and mouse (i know lame as they should all be detectable at this point) but when in doubt... install the drivers needed for the device.

This may also be an issue with the USB drivers as a whole. See if the computer recognizes any other USB devices like a thumb drive. You may need to reinstall the USB drivers.

It only as USB and no PS/2 ports. I am wondering if it has to be the original Dell keyboard for it to function. Does this even sound reasonable?

I believe that the USB ports are working because I can get into the BIOS and change settings in there, but when the OS loads it stops functioning.

Well, if you can get into the BIOS, which I'm assuming is F2, then take a look at the USB Controller Settings. It should be set to "ON" so USB devices will be supported in an operating system. It should be "ON" by default really.

If it is in fact on and you still can't use the USB devices at OS. Let me know.

Also, there are 4 diagnostic lights on the front of the case. If the PC boots with no errors at all, there should be no lights on. If there are errors like "USB" errors, there should be some lights still on. ( Lights 2 green, 3 green and 4 green )

Here's the service manual for that dimension. Use it as a reference.
Documentation

I took the machine back to the customers home because they had another PC I was working on as well which recovered fine. I plugged in their mouse and keyboard which were Logitech and not the original keyboard and mouse and what do you know, they worked. It took a second and it behold they functioned. The odds weren't in my favor and I had almose the exact same setup, but it just didn't like my shop I guess. New problem lol....I boot the machine, log into the users profile, and the desktop will load with error after error including explorer which closes out and I have nothing but a desktop image. After alt-ctrl-del a couple of times I can bring up the task manager, only after it errors out numerous times. I tried safe mode and the other profiles including Admin have the same issue. Created new profile to check that out and the new profile is semi usable in safe mode. I went into the device manager and there was nothing listed there. I mean nothing, just an empty box. I understand from the EU that it has a virus of some type on it, but have you ever heard of such a f.u.b.a.r PC? Let me know if you have any ideas on how to get Malwarebytes' on it or another program to do a cleaning without a full reformat unless you think it is too far gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom