Team Fortress 2 performance is horrible on my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamLee0519

Baseband Member
It's been going on ever since I put Vista on my computer (with better hardware) but I was too lazy to do anything about it. Now, I can't stand getting 15-30 fps on TF2.

Basically, I used to have this rig:
-Phenom 9500 stock
-2GB DDR2
-HD 4850 at 680/1050
-160GB Seagate 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
-Windows XP Professional SP3

Now, it's:
-Phenom 9500 stock
-4GB DDR2
-HD 4850 at 710/1100
-640GB WD Caviar Black 32MB Buffer
-Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1

I had a ton of junk on my XP which slowed it down a lot, but I was still getting a solid 60-80 fps at 1440x900 with 2xMSAA with everything on high. Now, I'm currently at 1440x900 with no MSAA with everything on high and I'm getting 15-30 fps. WTF?

And clearly, in every aspect possible, every piece of hardware in my rig is better except my CPU, which remained the same. So what's going on? I mean, I love Vista. It's great and very fast with 4GB RAM, but my TF2 performance is terrible. Half-Life 2: Episode Two and CS: Source ran alright, but still lower than how it was in XP. What's going on?

The only possible explanation I can think of is
(1) Vista has extremely poor gaming performance, which has been proven as false through benchmarks with SP1. It may be slightly inferior compared to XP but still performs nearly just as well
(2) My internet is horrible, but offline games such as HL2 show some performance decrease too, although TF2 does get affected much more and is indeed due to me using a wireless connection, but that can't be everything. My internet is 6mbps, and the whole Vista's wireless internet lagging issue that everyone used to have has been fixed with a program called Vista Anti-Lag, which did get rid of my lag spikes.
(3) My CPU is too weak. This could be true, but using that exact same processor in XP gave me a good enough performance. I don't see why a different OS could give me such a performance gap. Plus, even if I ended up switching that processor to something like a Phenom II X4 940 (which I'm considering doing), it's hard to believe that an application that would be more GPU-intensive would benefit so much from a better CPU.

I've tried to search all over google, but nothing came up. I did notice that some other people have had the same problem as me, using Vista, but looking at other people, some have worse specs than me but I don't see anyone complaining about their performance in TF2, and they're all using Vista.

My first problem was that I was getting massive lag spikes every minute or so in game, but I fixed that, as mentioned above. But the raw framerate is still pretty horrendous. I need help! What do I do? Any explanations?

One thing... it's not vista. With your specs you should be killing TF2. I suggest you uninstall and then reinstall steam, tf2, and any other steam game you are having trouble with.

btw, FPS isn't affected by your internet speed, it's your ping which is effected. Any ping above 80 for me and I notice bad performance

Okay, you know what? This is just getting ridiculous.

So I tried changing my settings to the lowest. My monitor is native 1440x900, but I tried using 1280x800 with all LOW settings with no AA and everything stripped down to the bare minimum. And WTF?! I'm getting 10 fps? This is just ridiculous. What the **** is going on? And yes, I tried doing the highest settings possible, and I got 15 fps. Great. My rig raped this game in XP, but as soon as I installed Vista, the performance was just different. What's wrong with it?

And yes, drivers are installed.

I haven't completely reinstalled steam, but I have tried completely reinstalling TF2, and nothing changed. Would reinstalling Steam do anything?

I've tried everything so far. New drivers, rollback drivers, reinstall TF2, reinstall Steam, etc. Nothing works. Someone PLEASE help me. I'm going insane. 25 fps on average is killing me.

Let's shotgun blast this sucka.

Uninstall TF2 (delete local content)
Uninstall Steam, completely.
Re-Download steam (just to ensure it's the latest)
Uninstall your Video and Audio drivers.
Download the most up to date versions of them
Restart PC
Turn off everything that doesn't get you online. (including Firefox, MSN, AIM, Yahoo, etc etc etc)
Install Audio, then video drivers.
Install Steam

Problems persisting beyond the shotgun approach may include lack of sufficient or reliable power (as stated above with a "what power supply do you have?" question) or other hardware failure OR as simple as a bios update needed for your motherboard, or bios setting. Don't panic or give up yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom