Old Computer -> New Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNorris57

Solid State Member
Okay, I'm not completely retarded however this is really my first time doing anything inside the computer. My computer went down after a circuit tripped in my house (woohoo my D/A brother took it off the surge protector). I had a friend reccommend a few things to fix, and using my then other working computer I discovered the power supply was messed up without having much knowledge of what it was I was doing.

Either way, I fixed the power supply and its still down, it turns on but it doesn't give any output to the monitor. It doesn't ever beep during or after startup...

And of course I googled the **** out of it and found a few flow charts and I don't know whats wrong with it.

I know it probably is either the graphics card or the motherboard but I really don't know!

SOOO

There is a question I PROMISE :p

I want to build a new computer and hopefully use as many parts on this computer as possible in the new computer (i realize that in order for you to REALLY help me that you need the names and model numbers and stuff from my old computer, I'll include this in a follow up post (I don't have it right now)) .

So first off, how do I test all of the parts of the computer.... I read that I should start up 'with nothing on it' and stuff like that, but honestly WTH do I have in it and what DONT i.... Don't just say 'take everything out'... i mean part by part whether its supposed to be in their or not (not to sound mean... but I find it patronizing when people speak so "generally" about something I know little about)

Okay after ALL that, I really want to make a computer that will run Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne on-line play as best as possible for $500

However I don't know how much help u can give me on this right now.. cuz I don't know which pieces I already have and which are broken/useless.

Either way.. the computer is at least 4-5 years old (Idk it came stock with XP and it "has" a 3.0ghz processor) so it was GOOD when I bought it.

But please just answer my first question.. and then tell me a build that would (assuming everything is worthless in my computer) run Warcraft 3 TFT to its maximum ability for around $500. (I really don't know how a computer works.. but by maximum I mean... that if Warcraft 3 only requires some old crappy graphics card and I could put my money into a better processor [assuming a better processor would make it run faster than the graphics card would] rather than a graphics card... then I want to do that... This computer is going to be used by my brother for school (Notepad and Firefox) and for me to play Warcraft 3 and NEVER anything else.... so I just want it to do that to the best of its ability.)

Summation: I want to spend $500 to turn my pile of dust that is a computer into the BEST possible Warcraft 3 playing machine I can.

Thanks, okay, now I hate to question you (well actually I'm not questioning you)

But is their any way someone can review his suggestions and tell me if they make sense based on my request....

Not that I don't trust him, just 2 opinions are better than one...

Most people who ask usually know something themselves... I do not.. so I'm going to probably blindly follow this guy unless one of you says otherwise :p

Thanks so much Fat. Clown!

And I'm glad to be here as well :p

And I forgot to mention, fat do you happen to know anything about how I check to see if my other parts are still functioning and whether or not they would be compatible with your suggestions either way.

And I forgot to mention, fat do you happen to know anything about how I check to see if my other parts are still functioning and whether or not they would be compatible with your suggestions either way.

only way I know of testing stuff is putting stuff in another known working computer and test parts 1 by 1 :( so thats probably not much of a help.....:cool:

model names/numbers would be nice, then I could probably google it up

DDR is not compatible with DDR2

and you said processor is about 4-5 years old, and 3.0 ghz, so I am guessing intel P4 socket 478 with AGP interface motherboard -which is rather old you'll spend more money trying to upgrade it than buying a whole new rig

hard drives are always compatible, so are your CD/DVD drives

case, you can probably re use also

power supply, due to capacitor aging and betting it have poor efficiency I'd strongly suggest a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom