trying to install win xp sp1 so i can install sp3, but get an error

Status
Not open for further replies.

camosilver311

In Runtime
had to do a repair install on my xp pro, and that apparently wiped out my service pack updates, now i don't even have sp1. so, i tried installing sp3 but it says i need sp1 installed first. i installed sp1 but it gives me an error at the very end saying that it could not finish installing, press ok to cancel installation or cancel to continue and leave windows in a partially updated state. i clicked continue, and immediately tried installing sp3 but it gives me the same error, it doesn't recognize that i "partially updated" my comp to sp1.

any idea what the cause of this is??

event viewer may show detailed errors

right click my computer > manage, look for event viewer

you could also try installing sp2

sp3 requires AT LEAST SP1

open the run window and type in winver and press enter. what sp does it show

it shows sp1 is installed. i tried installing sp2 but it goes through everything then a little pop up box error message says access denied

tried all 3 methods listed in the link without luck.

1. restarted the comp, reinstalled the sp3 again (with no programs running, this is a new computer anyways without anything running yet)

2. again, new computer... no virus/anti-spyware progs installed yet

3. installed the subinacl file, installed it. tried to run it but the screen pops up for a split second then quits. copied the text into a notepad file, renamed it to reset.cmd, saved and exited the file. double clicked the file and it opens up just like a regular text file, nothing happened. that's as far as i could go with this method

any other ideas?

Something is wrong with that text file - when i ran this text file it took like an hour to reset everything and go through its paces.

Are you sure you are saving the notepad files as reset.cmd - ensure that it isn't still associated with notepad. Once saved as a .cmd it should look like a little command line executable file. Once you double click that it runs the file as a command file, Dos opens up and starts resetting your registry.

I swear this method works, and you telling me the file opens as a text file and not a command file indicates you (or the system) aren't saving the file correctly.

Double check how you are saving that file.

yup that was the problem. i was able to install sp2, but after the reboot it won't load windows now. the windows loading screen coming on for a second, then the blue screen of death with an error code flashes too quickly for me to read it then the comp restarts, and does this over and over.

i tried rebooting from last known good setting but i get the same thing. i was able to log on in safe mode, and i am in the process of installing sp3 from there to see if that will fix it, but it's taking a while so i am off to bed for the night, we'll see in the morning what happens.

well, i just woke up, sp3 installed ok, rebooted the comp and it's still giving me the blue screen, but flashing it too quickly for me to read it.

any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom