.::Post a screenshot of your partitions!::.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I should add a couple more drives in there just so I don't feel inadequate. :) Would it help if I mention it's two drives in a RAID 1 configuration? (I never backed up my 2 GB drive like I should have let alone my 160 GB one, so I let my motherboard do it for me.)

Drive-Partitions-75pct.gif

Wow...you people and your huge harddrives...

I used Diskmanager instead of a Linux util or Partition Magic because that seems to be the theme here. Because of this my Linux partitions were shown as blank. I'd like to note that the seemingly unlabled 8 gig partition is my Debian Linux partition (I'm moving to slackware soon though...) and the 600 meg or so partition is the Linux SWAP partition.

diskmanag_scrn.JPG

qiranworms I think the way you have your swap file allocated to a separate partition is slowing it down rather than helping. Reason why I say that is because I'm certain your 10GB physical disk is running on a slower interface than your 40GB disk.

Think of it like this: you have your OS running off a CD-rom drive BUT your swap file is located off a partition on your floppy disk.

ekÆsine said:

Think of it like this: you have your OS running off a CD-rom drive BUT your swap file is located off a partition on your floppy disk.

haha..lol :)

qiranworms, what r ur HD specs?

Hmm...really? I read here that having it on a seperate partition helps. (on item number 5)
From Fastest to Slowest, these are the configuration you can try:

* No swap file at all. Some software may fail. You also need "much" memory to do this. Greater than 512 MB, but I recommend 2 GB.
* A static swap file on a separate hard drive (and preferably, controller) from Windows and frequently accessed data.
* A dynamic swap file on a separate hard drive (and preferably, controller) from Windows and frequently accessed data.
* A static swap file on a separate partition, but on the same physical hard drive as Windows.
* A dynamic swap file on a separate partition, but on the same physical hard drive as Windows.
* The Default: A dynamic swap file on the same partition and physical hard drive (usually C:) as Windows.

TheMajor, my HD specs aren't very impressive. 5400 RPM and 45 gigs. I believe it's Toshiba.

If you have enough main memory (512MB+ for winXP/2k) than you don't have much of a need for a swap file. The tip about using a separate partition for the swap is mostly useless. I would abandon the idea completely. You will not notice much if any difference in speed. I would use "The Default: A dynamic swap file on the same partition and physical hard drive (usually C: ) as Windows. "

I am using this:

* A static swap file on a separate hard drive (and preferably, controller) from Windows and frequently accessed data

and would disable swapf if my RAM was big enough.

here's mine.

D Drive is my life's work / downloads. I want to RAID this some day.

E Drive is just a dumping ground for when I want to sort things out onto DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom