Comparing two PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually paid $350 for the 3.4ghz one, Off-lease (refurbished from "fortune 500 companies")

I was gonna spend about $150 more on a graphics card, since m old one is crummy and AGP.

My budget if I were to build one from scratch would be ~400-500, and I already have the sound card (Sound Blaster Audigy 4). I think currently I can get 2gb DDR2 ram for $30, that is really the only deal I know of.
I still have a few days to return this, so if you guys could come up with a better alternative I would love to hear it.
Also, I am in Toronto, Canada, so I can take advantage of any deal pricing you may know there, but probably wouldn't be able to buy something from newegg.com for example.

Thanks so much for your help to date.

If you can return that pc you should. A p4 isn't worth anywhere close to $350.

These parts would cost $387 and would give you a much faster system.

Newegg.ca - LITE-ON Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.ca - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3160813AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-US2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.ca - SeaSonic SS-300ES 300W ATX12V Ver.2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.ca - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.ca - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

I actually paid $350 for the 3.4ghz one, Off-lease (refurbished from "fortune 500 companies")

I was gonna spend about $150 more on a graphics card, since m old one is crummy and AGP.

My budget if I were to build one from scratch would be ~400-500, and I already have the sound card (Sound Blaster Audigy 4). I think currently I can get 2gb DDR2 ram for $30, that is really the only deal I know of.
I still have a few days to return this, so if you guys could come up with a better alternative I would love to hear it.
Also, I am in Toronto, Canada, so I can take advantage of any deal pricing you may know there, but probably wouldn't be able to buy something from newegg.com for example.

Thanks so much for your help to date.

you got ripped off man

The Pentium D @ 3.0 gHz with 3GB ram and 500gb hd would be about $320.

To Puddle Jumper: -I don't need the HD, as I've got a nice 400gb SATA one.
-Is there any way to get cheaper RAM? Does the manufacturer play a big part in the quality of it?
-That's a cool case, but I don't care about how my computer looks, so can we save some money there somehow?
-If newegg charges a lot for shipping, maybe tigerdirect.ca will have some of the parts? PLus TD has stores I can actually go to pick these things up?
-I noticed you didn't suggest a graphics card for me. I need one with S-Video out/in(not both, whichever makes the pc go to the TV)
-Excuse my ignorance, but how is a single 2.7ghz processor better than a Duo 3.0ghz?
-That being said, with all these price cuts I mentioned above, could we do a little better on the processor?
-That mobo looks like its just PCI-e, but my Sound blaster audigy 4 uses PCI. What would I do with it?

Thank you all for your help so far! I will definitely return this 3.4ghz on monday.

-Is there any way to get cheaper RAM? Does the manufacturer play a big part in the quality of it?
-That's a cool case, but I don't care about how my computer looks, so can we save some money there somehow?
-If newegg charges a lot for shipping, maybe tigerdirect.ca will have some of the parts? PLus TD has stores I can actually go to pick these things up?
-I noticed you didn't suggest a graphics card for me. I need one with S-Video out/in(not both, whichever makes the pc go to the TV)
-Excuse my ignorance, but how is a single 2.7ghz processor better than a Duo 3.0ghz?
-That being said, with all these price cuts I mentioned above, could we do a little better on the processor?
-That mobo looks like its just PCI-e, but my Sound blaster audigy 4 uses PCI. What would I do with it?

Thank you all for your help so far! I will definitely return this 3.4ghz on monday.

Getting a cheaper case will only make things more difficult in the long run. I suggested the Elite 330 because it is well built and has good cooling while still being relatively cheap.

Newegg tends to have much better prices than tigerdirect.

The motherboard has onboard video witha hdmi output that can be used to connect it to a tv. If your tv doesn't have hdmi you could add a HD 3450 which will have s video and can be run in hybrid crossfire with the motherboards onboard video to improve performance. The hd 4670 philbar posted would also work.

As philbar already said the x27750 is a dual core and is considerably faster than any pentium D regardless of its clock speed.

You could get cheaper RAM, but puddle would not suggest it if it wasn't worth it.

The elite 330 is one of the best budget cases I have come across, it's already pretty cheap but yes, you could get an even cheaper one. You should note though that the right case can be the most enduring component of the PC and can remain unchanged through many upgrades. Like the PSU it's really not worth going too cheap if you are sacrificing quality.

Pentium Ds lost out massively against lower clocked x2 CPUs of the same age. That old Pentium doesn't stand a chance against a new x2, it's not even a close contest.

EDIT: My typing is too slow lol

By 2x do you mean I should buy two of that processor? And is there any significantly better processor for only a little more cash?

Also, my monitor uses VGA (the blue one, maybe its called DVI?, but I'm pretty sure it isn't on that hd4670). Does the crossfire thing mean that I can still use the ports from the Mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom