Fan needed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, thanks!

And...the thermaltake one is both a heatsink and fan, right? Also, is it compatible with my mobo?

my mobo

It says on the specs for the fan tha it's a 3 pin connector...I think mine is only 2. How can I make it (thermaltake fan) fit/work?

Nubius, what do you mean, "duct mods"?

There are a couple different varieties...some are just a bent tube...so that instead of your CPU fan sitting directly ontop of the heatsink...you put an elbow shape pipe that has screws for the 80mm to fit on the heatsink...the pipe sticks off and bends a little and you put the fan on that so that you don't get that dead spot...the other kind is where you have an 80mm fan and a 60mm fan and its a little piece of plastic tubing that on one side you screw on your 80mm and on the other side you screw in the 60mm for a 'duct' which will increase airflow.

http://www.svc.com/fa6080-blue.html

there's an example of a 60-80mm "adapter"

thermaltake has that other duct I was talking about...kinda hard to explain that one

yeah, I think I saw one at tigerdirect...hate 'em. Charge too much for both product and shipping. But that's beside the point. Now, how do these duct mods inmprove cooling? They're just a tube...

Now, how do these duct mods inmprove cooling? They're just a tube...

Quite simply really....what do you think would push more air...one fan...or two? Old saying goes, two heads are better than one...yeah its a tube and its gonna push in air at an already accelerated speed then hit ANOTHER fan which of course would propell it even more....but you gotta have a strong 60mm motor cause the force from the 80 could burn it out....if you had an 80mm counter-clockwise spinning fan and a 60mm clockwise spinning fan that both blow air the same direction...you'd have a compressor basically and it's really improve that duct mod......with blades spinning opposite of each other, but still pushing air the same way it creates a compressor action between the fans and then the air coming out the bottom is even more 'furious'.

They're just a tube....come on...just think about it for 5 seconds and its pretty obvious that it'd be more efficient than just the single fan.

The one on CPU fans is so to distance the fan away from the heatsink a little so the air can fill up the entire tube and do a more direct flow of air because there is that dead spot where the motor is...this essentially takes care of that dead spot.

They're just a tube....come on...just think about it for 5 seconds and its pretty obvious that it'd be more efficient than just the single fan.

Yeah, I see now how it works. I just thought that you put 1 fane on the end of it...:rolleyes: . So, something like the link you gave or this one would work, right? Hmmmmm....I shall consider this duct mod.

Yeah, I see now how it works. I just thought that you put 1 fane on the end of it...

Oh ok, honest mistake, I was wondering how you could sit there and wonder how it wouldn't push more air...aright yeah if you thought that only one fan was attached and the tube was supposed to 'magically' make it better then yeah I can see how you got mixed up.

Your link didn't work for me BTW, so I couldn't see it. The one for heatsinks like I said IS just a tube and you don't attach another fan to it. Its kind of hard to explain, but I'll try anyway....it has the square base obviously for the 80mm part. You attach that to your CPU....instead of the fan being screwed on it's this elbow joint shaped plastic duct basically....so that your fan is on the other side of the tube...that way air fills up the tube and is blown across the entire heatsink whereas a fan directly ontop of the heatsink has that dead spot of air where the motor is.

Ahh, here's the link for the one for the heatsinks.

http://www.thermaltake.com/accessories/DuctingMod.htm

"instead of the fan being screwed on it's this elbow joint shaped plastic duct basically....so that your fan is on the other side of the tube..."

Ok, I read the link...interesting. Do you know if that is the ONLY kind of Ducting Mod there is? Or is there one that goes to this one.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370489

P.S. The picture down at the bottom of your link (not the drawing, but under it) is what the not-working link went to.

that ducting mod fits in any 80mm space....that heatsink you linked to has two fans you can put on it so technically you could have that thermaltake duct mod on both sides. There are other ducting mods...such as taking the kind of silver hose (like the one that usually goes from a dryer) and hooking one end to your fan on the processor and the other to a fan on either the rear or front of the fan so the processor is getting the fresh inside air instead of the air inside the case. Don't got a link for that though can't remember where I saw it, but technically it's not that hard to make yourself either.

Ok, now because the hsf I choose has 2 fans (not on the top but on the sides), your saying that I could get double the benefit, and they would kinda make the hsf look like it has horns or something, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom