Windows files becoming corrupted when I turn off my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I got a strang problem with my Media Centre Box.

Last night, I installed Windows Xp MCE. Installed fine. Rebooted fine. However when i turn it off for 5 minutes and turned it on again. It would not boot into windows. I would report to me that i was missing a file.

So today I re-installed windows XP MCE again. Again I was able to install every thing just fine. I was able to reboot the computers serveral times as I apply service packs and updates.

This evening, i had to turn it off so I could move the computer. Turned it on, again, Windows was not able to boot as I was missing a file.

This time it was the C_1252.nls.

So I was able to geting to the recovery console and repaired the file
1. Insert the Windows XP CD, and then restart the computer. If you are prompted, select any options that you must select to start Windows XP from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the instructions that appear on the screen. To select the repair or the recover option, press R.
3. If you have a dual-start or multiple-start computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
4. When prompted, type the Administrator password.
5. At the command prompt, type the following commands ( press ENTER after each command):
cd system32
ren c_1252.nls c_1252.old
expand drive:\i386\c_1252.nl_ c:\windows\system32
Where drive is the drive letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit, and then press the ENTER key.

I have rebooted my PC. Now it's telling me that NTFS.sys is missing or corrupted.
Good chance that i am going to be needing to reinstall windows. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Hardware specs are
AMD Phenom 9500 QuadCore 2.2Ghz, 4Gb DDRII, Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3, Geforce 8600GT 512Mb, WD 750Gb SATA / 2x WD 1Tb SATA, Adaptec 1220SA RAID, DVDRW, Xp MCE 2005
Drive that the OS in a western digital 750 SATA drive

I think there is some thing up with the hard drive.
A few hours ago I started to re-install windows MCE. This time I did a slow format of the hard drive.

It's stuck on 45% for the last few hours. I am beginning to think that there is some thing up with this drive.

Putting in a Seagate 1Tb drive to put windows on it as I don't have any other avalable large capacity drives. I hope i can still get my data off the other partition

I am convinced that the drive is stuff. I have it running with another drive now and the problem as not popped up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom