Maxtor HD question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had three maxtor drives, and have used about 2 others. Out of the three that i have used one is still moving along, it is about 4 years old now, i have not had a problem with it...but the other two crapped out at the one year mark. The other 2 that i have used, one started getting alot of bad sectors, and the other one started making a really weird clicking noise (not the normal one that comes from the hdd when its going out) it was like tapping on metal. The drive worked fine, but it was loud, and annoying, and i have no idea what the heck it was.

I would stay clear of Maxtor with my experiences with them. Seagate (for the most part), Western Digital, and samsung are the only hdd brands that i buy now.

I've used a lot of Maxtor drives over the years and have never had any problems...my PC now has a 120GB Maxtor (Seagate) IDE drive as my OS drive and my PC at home has 60 and 80GB Maxtor drives that are pretty old and still work fine.

Is funny. Who here remembers the quantium fireball drives. They were great.

wtf?!? Our Compaq (1999) came with a 10GB Quantum Fireball that only lasted a year or so and then had the dreaded click of death. Bought a 60GB Maxtor (probably 2000 or 2001) and it is still working today (I have it in my desktop at home, which is on 24/7 as a server).

I have 2 fireballs, both dead, bought 80gb maxtor, it's dead, still have 40gb maxtor, but it has several bad sectors on it... Sad thing is, that is my servers hard drive... Can't afford a new drive. :(

I'm on a Maxtor HDD now, and it hasn't given me problems yet.... *knock on wood*. 500gb hard drives have gotten pretty cheap though, so if anything starts happening, I'll get a WD hdd to replace it. I've got pretty much everything backed up for now though.

Well given by the ratio of bad experiences and good experiences with maxtor...don't go maxtor...sure you might get lucky and get a fine drive, but the chances are not in your favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom