Nub trying to build her first computer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted my tower to glow just a little bit, all those LED lights on some of the towers are so neat, haha! But I should go for efficiency/price before shiny things I guess.

For my operating system I was just going to see if I could install my Windows XP CDs from my old PC, I really haven't looked to see if I can put them on another computer. I work on Vista at work and I have to say that I'm not a huge fan. My boyfriend tells me there is always the option of torrenting my OS but I don't know if that's the route I would take. It seems the prices for XP and Vista home editions are them same:

XP:
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - Operating Systems

Vista (64 bit):
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

u have a boyfriend so we're not gonna help anymore. :)

I would reuse the old XP since 7 is only a year away.

Go with Vista, and don't listen to this Boma fellow.

You'll need the 64-bit to recognize all your RAM, so Vista hands down.

EDIT: Oh, and pick up Vista Home Premium. I think it's 10 bucks more, but it's worth it.

I'm glad you are choosing the PC over an expensive Mac! If all you are using on the Mac was Creative Suite, you'll be much better off with a PC. The components will be much more powerful for a much cheaper price this way. +1 to the PC's are better side :p I kid, I kid.

OT: I would say if you are absolutely against Vista, you can use your old XP but you will not fully utilize all 4GB of RAM until you upgrade to a 64bit OS, be it Vista or Windows 7. If you can spare the $100, get Vista Home Premium 64bit through Newegg.

Nowadays with SP1, Vista is just fine. They fixed a lot of stuff, and it beats out XP in most aspects now. Even a die-hard "early Vista" hater like me realizes that SP1 made it a good OS. :p You should be fine getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom