Urkin me to the max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexluethar

Fully Optimized
Long story short i have an Amptron P4-920LSD motherboard. I need 1 gig RAM to install server 2008 on it. I DO NOT want to purchase expensive RAM (yes 20 dollars is expensive for this machine that is worth its weight in dirty). I've found a used 1 gig stick of DDR1 for 16 bucks. This will work great as all other places I can purchase 512 SDRAM for like 40 bucks, but i'd have to purchase two sticks as i only have a 128 and 256 stick of SDRAM.

So I can purchase 512 new of DDR1 RAM for like 50 bucks or just get a used 1 gig stick for 16 bucks. Okay now that you know a little bit of the background...

I cannot find how to get this MB to recognize DDR ram. It was a motherboard that was build during the transition from SDRAM to DDR so it has two slots for SD and two for DDR. You can only use one type at a time and it by default only recognizes the SDRAM slots. I can't find my manual (built this for my parents in 2001) and need to know what jumpers to set for this POS to recognize DDR...

Please help me, i seriously am going crazy over this thing. Needed a hard drive, then a dvd drive, now realized i need more ram for the install, but now i can't get the thing to recognize the ddr stick (my 512 one i have, haven't purchased the used one yet, and yes it works b/c i'm using it right now on my other desktop).

:(:eek::confused::(:eek:

Oh no, PCchips? Ugh. Good luck on that.

You may have to flash the BIOS for the DDR recognition, but I'm not sure. Check with the PCCHIPS website, like Hef mentioned.

I did, they don't have any info on that socket from that manf. No it should recognize DDR, in fact i know it does, you just have to set specific jumpers in order to do so and i can't find what jumpers to set...

Ah, fair enough...I'm not entirely sure on that one, sorry mate. PCCHIPS wasn't known for making their boards user friendly.

The best I can tell you is that the DDR would have to be 2100, and I'm not sure if it will support a 1gb stick. I think it supports up to 1gb total, according to what I've found out about it.

PC Geeks: help me ID this motherboard - SurfTalk

Oh hey, I did a little more searching, and this is the closest thing I could find to what you would have to do for DDR:

Open Tech Support Community - View Single Post - Amptron P4-920LSD wont POST

Haha ya, I fixed it.

Just had to apply some pixy dust and call in the help of a few mythical creatures. No biggy... :(

Lol, awesome. You still may want to look into getting 512 sticks since it doesn't look like a 1gb will work...they have some cheap-ish sticks of PC2100 at newegg...

Ya went with two 512's. That is all the place sold anyways, and i already had 512, so i just bought one 512.

Motherboard was so old that I had to manually configure jumpers to get the DDR ram slots to be recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom