Comparing two PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nudue

Solid State Member
Hey guys. I've got a decision to make on which PC to buy, and I'd like your input.

I don't have much of the specs of these computers, but what I do have, I'll post. If I haven't posted something, its the same in them, I don't know it, or I'm planning to upgrade it anyway.

So the two PCs are:

3.0gHz Pentium D Processor
3gb DDR Ram

vs.

3.4gHz Pentium4 Processor w/ HT
4gb DDR2 Ram.

I'd like to know which is the better machine to buy for two different situations.
1.regular, light user.
2. Heavy use with multiple heavy programs (photoshop, dreamweaver, filezilla, as well as some internet & msn windows open)

I'd also like to know, if you choose the pentium 4 as better, if adding 1GB more ram to the Pentium D will change anything.

Thank you so much.

Both are rubbish but the pentium D is better. Leave it with 3GB. Since there is no price listed I will assume that they are the same price - in that case the pentium D will be better in both situations. Is there a reason why you are buying such old tech?

^ agreed. both suck. i had a pentium D and it wont too bad for gameing but you can forget about doing benchmarking

Hey guys. I've got a decision to make on which PC to buy, and I'd like your input.

I don't have much of the specs of these computers, but what I do have, I'll post. If I haven't posted something, its the same in them, I don't know it, or I'm planning to upgrade it anyway.

So the two PCs are:

3.0gHz Pentium D Processor
3gb DDR Ram

vs.

3.4gHz Pentium4 Processor w/ HT
4gb DDR2 Ram.

I'd like to know which is the better machine to buy for two different situations.
1.regular, light user.
2. Heavy use with multiple heavy programs (photoshop, dreamweaver, filezilla, as well as some internet & msn windows open)

I'd also like to know, if you choose the pentium 4 as better, if adding 1GB more ram to the Pentium D will change anything.

Thank you so much.

Your programs are RAM intensive, plus the P4 is HT, making it act like a two core Pentium 4 @ 3.4ghz

Where as the Pentium D is the same thing.. two Pentium 4's @ 3.0ghz..

Go with the Pentium 4 rig with the extra RAM, but both are really crappy for what you need

I would get the P4, mainly because with the DDR2 RAM, I'm almost certain it's a socket 775, so you could upgrade later.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that before someone points it out: I know Pentium D is 775, but if you upgrade that socket, you'll be stuck with DDR RAM, and who knows what that motherboard supports, since it's probably older. The P4 mobo has DDR2, which is standard now, and it may be a new board with more compatibility.

First off, as others have asked, how much are these two PC's in question? With that kind of old technology, I wouldn't be paying over $100-150 on them (and that's assuming all the parts are new). If it has used parts, I wouldn't pay more than $50, personally, though they may have slightly more worth than that in actuality.

Yeah, if we knew the exact parts, it would be easier to tell you if EITHER of them are worth the deal. If you're paying more than 150 bucks for either, we could build you a nice machine for cheap, if you didn't mind spending a bit more money.

I actually paid $350 for the 3.4ghz one, Off-lease (refurbished from "fortune 500 companies")

I was gonna spend about $150 more on a graphics card, since m old one is crummy and AGP.

My budget if I were to build one from scratch would be ~400-500, and I already have the sound card (Sound Blaster Audigy 4). I think currently I can get 2gb DDR2 ram for $30, that is really the only deal I know of.
I still have a few days to return this, so if you guys could come up with a better alternative I would love to hear it.
Also, I am in Toronto, Canada, so I can take advantage of any deal pricing you may know there, but probably wouldn't be able to buy something from newegg.com for example.

Thanks so much for your help to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom