Problems with Vista with only 2hours into it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GadgetCollectorMOM

Solid State Member
Please help, im pulling out my hair right now. i got my new computer today and i set everything up. Started it and had to go thru all these popups (prgrams that were on it)

before i did anything like unstalling i backup files on a dvd (not sure if that was a restore option:confused:

nortan asked to install..i wanted out because i was about to install my own program for antiviras. it wouldn't shut down! so i went to task manger and did it from there (what i had to do with my last pc)

i tried opening and installing my antiviras and it told me
"windows installer has stopping working"
and it won't find a solution.

i tried everything to fix it .....now i can't open my control panel!!!
it pops up blank then goes away.

i did nothing to cause this! please don't tell me a two hour computer is not fixable:(

oh and another thing to mention..i have this blank screen thats there 24/7, i can't use the x button..it won't do anything. when i open things i have to move it to see behind it...i can't take it off! im sure it was the nortan window that gave me problems in the beginning

oh forgot to mention...there is no system restore!!!
i used it once when it told me installer wasn't working..i thought i did soemthing wrong.

i selected a restore..i did some things and told me unable to complete it. so now when i select system restore is says..system restore seems to not be funtioning probably, the volume shadow copy service used by system restore is not working.

Have you tried restarting? If you cant do it thru the Start Menu just hold the power button down for a few seconds to force a shut down and then start it back up in normal mode.

lol i restarted it a million times..

that blank screen will still be there..with the rest of my problems.

i checked and unchecked services..i researched if anyone else had problems..did all the suggestions...nothing :(

i know one thing. plasrv.exe (in system32 folder)is keep coming up in the registry fixer as non-exsitent file
i looked it up..and i don't know what that file is!

ok give you an idea what im seeing
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3411/3331049638_612edf539f_o.jpg

why is it like that..when the computer is new?

Well some of those could easily be from Norton. Plus never fully trust Registry Repair software. They find things that are not truly wrong and report that they are.

Your best bet if you are unhappy, either restore it to factory settings since something went wrong trying to stop Norton. OR jsut flat out install XP but make sure you have the drivers for it first.

how do i restore back to factory settings? if my restore isnt working

its not that im unhappy...programs won't start..the only thing i can use right now is the internet..
i click on something and it won't pop up (most programs anyways)
and the control panel is still poping up blank and then goin way..i think that is a major issue

My advice would be to either check your documentation to see how to perform a factory restore (wipes the computer and starts all over, just like it was when you fired it up the first time) or call the manufacturer and have them walk you through it.

I suspect that the Norton installation was part of the initial setup? If so you stopped the process before it was finished.

Once you are able to restore it to factory defaults and it has finished everything, download and run PC De-Crapifier and let it get rid of all the junk that came with the installation. Once you've done that, install the stuff you want on it. This is why I recommend Dell's Vostro line to people who want a pre-built... it doesn't come with all the junk on them.

This isn't a Vista issue, i really think it is a norton / manf. issue. Did you just purchase this computer? My guess is that it came with a lot of bloat ware and trial software that the manufacturer makes you install on first bootup. You jumped out of that installation w/o the programs permission which is why you are getting the windows installation error.

Do as trotter said and restore it back to its 'out of the box' state. Then allow all the programs to run their course the first bootup. After that THEN uninstall what you don't want. If you can't figure out how to do a restore call up the manf. or take it back and tell them what happen.

ok got it!!! thank you!

my other computers only had system restore or reformating option(which i never had to do on my last computer for five years of owning it)

weird i never heard of factory restore..but i found it!! im on my laptop now while i wait for the desktop to finish. but so far everything is good!
lol and yes i learned my lesson ...do not treat this computer like i did my last one..which was userfriendly..well for me at least.

i still getting ticked off about the premission requests lol but thats just me

anything else about vista thats different then XP i should know now?! im a nub to vista..every folder i seem to have to switch to classic view because i don't know where everything is lol

There is a lot that Vista offers differently than XP. There are lots of Reviews and Guide on the net that can give you all that information.

The main thing you will see is the UAC, Aero Effects, Networking and some ways the files are handled. Everything else is "under the hood" so to speak that you dont see.

Also once you're settled in with setting up your Vista computer post back on this thread and we can walk you through turning off the UAC if you'd like (not recommended as it is a great security tool, but computer savvy people do get annoyed by it).

As Mak said there are a lot of additional features you won't notice, like better RAM allocation you won't even notice but will make a huge difference. Not sure which edition you have but i feel Vista comes with a lot of very useful tools built into the OS like parental controls, an easier remote assistant tool, a calendar that you can use just like outlook (scheduled events, tasks, reminders, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom