Nub trying to build her first computer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoddessVirage

Baseband Member
I, like perhaps so many other people on this forum, are a giant noob when it comes to building computers. I've always wanted to try, so now I am planning out my first build. I think I have mostly everything in good order but before I go ahead and start purchasing parts and accidently making ridiculously stupid mistakes I'd love some more experienced people's feedback. I am aiming for a PC that can handle Photoshop/Adobe Creative Suite like a mac can (my mac laptop is on it's literal last leg, it's done me great for almost 7 years but alas.. I can't afford a big mac system atm so this is the nest best thing) so I choose the quad processor. Otherwise being an artist, I am addicted to World of Warcraft so I'd love a computer that could run the game very well and not give me 4 frames per second in Dalaran :p This is currently what I have lined up (I took a lot of advice from mysuperpc.com- I don't know if that was good/bad thing). I am sure there are some silly mistakes in here-

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard – Retail
>>Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
-$104.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400 2.66GHz 1333MHz 6MB LGA775 CPU, OEM
>>SuperBiiz.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400 2.66GHz 1333MHz 6MB LGA775 CPU, OEM
-$207.00

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive – OEM
>>Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
-$79.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
>> Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
-$44.99

GIGABYTE GV-R467D3-512I Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail >>Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R467D3-512I Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
-$79.99

LITE-ON Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 22X DVD Burner - OEM >>Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
-$22.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply – Retail
>>Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
-$59.99

ATOP AT-AP103WSB-KM Black / Silver SGCC steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/Black color keyboard/mouse combo - Retail
>>Newegg.com - ATOP AT-AP103WSB-KM Black / Silver SGCC steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/Black color keyboard/mouse combo - Computer Cases
-$49.99

-I like the last case because it comes with a mouse and keyboard which I do not have.

I'd also like to keep my expenses around $600 not including a monitor or keyboard/mouse atm. I really just want a good strong stable tower for $600ish.

Thanks so much!
<3 Jennifer

grab the ud3r
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
same board, just 1 less pcie 16x slot, because I doubt you will go crossfire

ram because I know photoshop loves ram, 4GBs $40
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
$5 off w/ promo code EMCLNNP29, while supplies last

PSU - sub $50 after you use promo code
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Additional 20% off w/ promo code "Mar20", ends 3/31

depends on where you live, you can pickup the Q9400 from microcenter for $180

LITE-ON Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 22X DVD Burner
$2 bucks less

Some of your links aren't working. It's best to get the Q6600 from newegg, its the same price and they handle returns very well.

Get this ram instead:
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Or if you're running Vista you can get 4Gb.

I use Photoshop as well with 2Gb of ram and never have any problems

Instead of the 9500gt get a 4670:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R467D3-512I Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
It will give you much greater performance.

Never go with a power supply that comes with a case. They are usually low quality and unreliable. This is a good one if you're on a budget:
Newegg.com - Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies

Edit: Fat Clown beat me while I was making my post.

Thanks for the quick responses I am going to check out all of the new suggestions when I get home from work! I edited my links BTW- I didn't realized it had cut portions of them out when I pasted in my text!

If you're looking for a budget build, you really should check the shipping that is tacked on to the case you choose to buy. Usually theres an extra $50-$100 added between shipping and handeling.

Just google some computer stores in you're location, and pick up a case there. Save you're $ =D

I made some changes to my original list to reflect the suggestions you guys made. I don't know if changing my motherboard for a $10 price difference from the Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards is worth it. I don't think I'd ever go crossfire (considering I think it has to do with videocards but really I don't have much of an idea) but if somewhere along down the road I suddenly decide that I do it'd be nice to have a motherboard that could support it.

Otherwise I am going a bit over my intended budget but it will probably be worth it. My last real question is a really dumb one- I'm not going to have any compatibility issues with all of these listed parts right? Haha, thank you so much guys!

Jennifer That looks like a pretty solid build for the final list, Do you already have the operating system, If so what one do you have? Your going to like the Q9400 over the Q6600 you originally had, I've built a few systems for people with the Q9400 and they have been happy with the performance. These guys on this forum are the best I've come across and always seem to point you in the right direction. I would be weary of the keyboard and mouse that come with the case, I've seen a few that come with cases and they where free for a reason (have not seen the one you picked however) Here is a few decent cases for cheap money and you can hit walmart for a cheap keyboard that you can see if you like before you purchase
I have heard good things about this one
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
I've built 3 systems so far with this one and not a bad one yet
Newegg.com - HEC 6C60BS Black / Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
also I just got a HD4670 for my other PC and it's a pretty good card especially for the price with rebate you found, Mine cost me more :eek: but a pretty good card none the less.

Dauntae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom