1TB Hard Drive I&E Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally use ONLY Seagate. Heard there was some firmware fiasco, not really concerned. I have a total of SEVEN 500 Gig Seagate drives being used at this moment. None of them have had any problems.

Another personal preferance is don't bother with an external drive, go for a NAS of some sort. Plug it into your router or switch, sit back, and access it from any device on the network. I currently use a D-Link DNS-323 and ALMOST bought a DNS-321 a few days ago as an addition to my network with a 1.5TB drive to go in it, but decieded that I am still a few months away from using up all my capacity, so I will wait till the last second and hope for more price drops between now & then.

I just picked up an internal 1TB WD Caviar Black series. It's advertised as 1TB but PC sees it as a 931GB drive, 69GB less. I wish there was some REAL number they would put on the box as what to expect. Other than that I like it a lot. No problems what-so-ever.

You may or may not already know this but you should check out this link

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Hard Drive - 7200, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM WD1001FALS at TigerDirect.com

It has some good info down at the bottom as to way your HD actually displays less than what you think (did) purchase

Get the Western Digital Black 1TB. They are great drives. I own one and it perfect.

Judge, when a drive is formatted, you lose space. There is physical room for 1TB of space, but the software formatting is different.

Get the Western Digital Black 1TB. They are great drives. I own one and it perfect.

Judge, when a drive is formatted, you lose space. There is physical room for 1TB of space, but the software formatting is different.

Man, I think when I go home tonight I'm going to have to pick one up... though at the same time I want to get rid of my 8800GTX... but it's done pretty well so far... I don't know if it's my monitor, the gpu or what... but always in games I see these "breaks" in the frames... I imagine it's probably something to do with vsync... but it's apparent in almost every game I play.... but I guess that is a bit off topic with this thread lol....

Thanks! TigerDirect has an OEM of that HD for 109.99, seems to be the best deal if you're going with advanced shipping so far...

I would keep your 8800GTX until you can afford another really nice GPU. I still use my 8800GTX and it is still great. I would LOVE to have a better card because I'm a total graphics whore but I cant afford it.

Thats a nice price for the WD Black but I've heard bad stories about tigerdirect. Everybody recommends against ordering from them. They have really bad customer service if you have any problems.

@ Blucube
Thanks for the info. I knew that drives were usually smaller than the reported size and had a general idea of why, but I didn't think it could get up to 70GB. That's a lot of 'lost' space!

@ Blucube
Thanks for the info. I knew that drives were usually smaller than the reported size and had a general idea of why, but I didn't think it could get up to 70GB. That's a lot of 'lost' space!

Lol yeah I agree... it kinda sucks but... figured I'd try and give you some ease of mind because it's completely normal

Currently I have moved from Seagate over to WD. I have noticed that WD run cooler that Seagates.
Samsungs are not too bad either.

Personally i perfer to purchase the hard drive and exterenal enclosure seperately. Reason being is that I can pull part the enclosure with out voiding a warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom