How can I cool my GPU? Running 100*C load!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookster264

In Runtime
I've noticed recently that my GPU temperatures are skyrocketing to 100*C under load while gaming.

When idle, or doing general computer stuff like internet surfing my GPU runs nice and cool at about 57-60*C.

I have an EVGA 8600GT oc'd using ATITool to 680 Core and 810 Memory. It has been stable since first ocing it and only remember the temps getting to around 80-85*C under load.

I made sure all case fans are running and faithfully keep the case clean of dust.

Do I need to turn down my oc a bit, or is my card losing life?

You can try taking the heatsink off and cleaning the card (and heatsink assembly). Re-apply some thermal paste and reassemble everything.

If that doesn't help then lower your OC and start looking for an aftermarket heatsink.

Depending on your budget, a better case with more airflow. But as mentioned, give a thorough cleaning, make sure all the cat hair and dust is out of the cooler and fan.

[edit] Make sure your fan speed is up, i use rivatuner to ensure fans are running at high rpm.

Thanks for the replies. Those are some good suggestions. I built my brother his computer and picked out the Antec 900 for his setup. Excellent air flow with that case.

However, right now my budget isn't one that has much room for upgrade to the computer system unfortunately.

I will check out Newegg for price check on GPU heatsinks. Is there a particular kind I need to look for to be compatible with my card? Do they come with paste already, like some CPU heatsinks? If I need to buy paste seperate, do you have any product referrals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom