"broken record" problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobbb

Beta member
Alright well this is my first post here, my rig is a pretty old one...
AMD 64 4000+ SD
184 pin 1gb corsair value select pc3200
80gb hdd
ATI Radeon HD4650

I mainly play left 4 dead, team fortress 2, CSS, CoD4 and hopefully cod5 soon. Anyways well my problem is occasionally during game or while loading games the audio goes into a "Broken Record" phase and lasts anywhere from 2-15 seconds. During this said time the video is also frozen and nothing is happening. I just replaced my video card thinking that it might have been that since the fan had been acting up. The new card helped a bit but the problem is still there. I also recently found a gig of pc4000 that i'll be installing soon so i hope it's a memory issue. So anyways i'm just basically wondering what it could be, my processor is OC'd just a smidge, stock i think is 2.41Ghz and it's at 2.51Ghz. Any ideas?

I think this is more of a software related issue than hardware. I'd try reinstalling the game, doing a virus scan, even doing a complete format/reinstall would be worth a try.

Check the 12v rails voltages during the game, a dip can cause that, also check your temps of the CPU to make sure it isn't overheating...

I think this is more of a software related issue than hardware. I'd try reinstalling the game, doing a virus scan, even doing a complete format/reinstall would be worth a try.

I'm almost 100% positive that it's not software related, it happens with multiple games on my system.

Check the 12v rails voltages during the game, a dip can cause that, also check your temps of the CPU to make sure it isn't overheating...

I haven't checked my 12v rail voltages but i have kept an eye on my cpu/vid card temps and the max that my cpu ever get is 52C.

I just bought Call of Duty World at War tonight and installed it. System is having a real hard time loading, once i'm in the game i'm perfectly fine. Takes forever from the time i click the shortcut to actually get to the menu, then once there forever to join a server.

Edit: Well CoD:WaW is by far the worst of all the games in causing this problem, what does codwaw use more of than the previous games stated that would cause this?

Could it be a lack of physical memory? As in get better/more ram? I've checked my page file and at normal idle with a few basic programs open it's around 650+MB, while running games it jumps to 1.3GB.

Edit#2: Well normally when i play games i have steam, xfire, avg and stuff like that runnin in the background. So i shut all those off and ran CoD:WaW and it helped significantly, so would this be a memory or a processor issue?

so it helped to the extent where you are not getting any more shutters or any kind of lag?

one other thing is it could be your hdd screwing up. how old is it?

so it helped to the extent where you are not getting any more shutters or any kind of lag?

one other thing is it could be your hdd screwing up. how old is it?

It significantly sped up the time it takes to load the game by clicking the shortcut, connecting to a game server and loading are still quite slow. I still get some glitches in game when a lot of stuff is goin on at once.

I also thought it might be the HDD but it isn't making any sounds or anything like a dieing hdd. Although it is quite old, over 4 years of use on it.

1 GiG by todays standards is pretty small. It certainly could be a memory issue. You said you found a PC4000 stick. Have you installed it?

You can buy another stick of DDR3200 for less than $40 USD. It would help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom