My final list

Status
Not open for further replies.
In most cases yes, but not always... in this case it is.

When is 4 rails better than one? Load balancing sucks, why spend the time on it? Its not a reliability thing, if one rail goes the whole psu goes. I can't think of any advantages except for price that multi rail psu's have.

When is 4 rails better than one? Load balancing sucks, why spend the time on it? Its not a reliability thing, if one rail goes the whole psu goes. I can't think of any advantages except for price that multi rail psu's have.

when using a lot of perhepreals (sorry i can't spell it and im at school with no spell check) it helps....i agree it is not worth it, but it does.

when using a lot of perhepreals (sorry i can't spell it and im at school with no spell check) it helps....i agree it is not worth it, but it does.

How? You get the same total power, but the effective power on a single rail is higher. less loss on the rails, and you don't have to organize.

How? You get the same total power, but the effective power on a single rail is higher. less loss on the rails, and you don't have to organize.
those uses the 5v or 3v rails

power supplies that have more than one +12V power rail, it is preferable for stability reasons to spread the power load over the 12V rails evenly to help avoid overloading one of the rails on the power supply.

power supplies that have more than one +12V power rail, it is preferable for stability reasons to spread the power load over the 12V rails evenly to help avoid overloading one of the rails on the power supply.

and I am saying... fans, lights, optical drives... etc uses either the 3v or 5v rails

did you think the 3v and 5v rails just idles while 12v rail does everything?

I'm not sure who told you that, but there is more than one rail in a psu. We are referring to the 12v rail, it handles the mobo, cpu and video cards. The 3v and 5v rails handle the drives. If you have one rail the total amperage for the rail is available for your cpu and video card. If you have multiple rails then you may be starving your card of power without knowing it. With multiple rails you have to do what is called load balancing. That means you find out which cables go to which rail and you make sure you aren't putting everything on one rail. Remember, for the same wattage a 2 rail psu effectively has half the amperage on each rail as a single rail psu (assuming the total 12v amps is the same). One the single rail the video cards gets all of it, on a 2 rail the video card only gets the amps from one of them. its max power draw was just cut in half. And if your psu is cutting it close, or if you have a lot of stuff plugged in you can get unstable. Aside form cost (its cheaper to make 2 wimpy rails than one beefy rail) I see absolutely no advantage in a multi-rail psu. Then again the cost isn't much of an advantage because I don't buy cheap psu's. I have seen far too many blow up because some fool cut corners. Most fo the psu's we recommend are single rail, you will notice that the only multi-rail psu's that pcp&p, corsair and seasonic carry are only their highest wattage psu's, where it is I'm practical to make single rail psu's due to the high amperage, and the amps on each rail are so high it makes little difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom