PC for dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

HjFUN

Baseband Member
He has requested a PC that will temporarily run XP and later run Windows 7.
I have done about everything to his specifications and all I need to know is if everything will work well together, if the on board video will be able to handle the Windows 7 GUI and google earth, also if you have any money saving suggestions or better parts please tell them to me.

CPU- 119.99 Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
HDD- 47.99 Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
MOBO- 44.99 Newegg.com - JetWay I31GM4 LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
RAM- 39.99 Newegg.com - OCZ Vista Upgrade 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Case- 24.99 Newegg.com - Rosewill R218-P-BK Black 0.5mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
ODD- 22.99 Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
PSU- 24.99 Newegg.com - Rosewill RV350 350W ATX 1.3 Power Supply - Power Supplies
OS- 89.99 Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - Operating Systems
SATA Cable- 1.99 Newegg.com - Rosewill 18" Serial ATA II External cable Model RC-18"-SA2-90-BK - Cables
+shipping
=
~$510+

One last note he does not need a monitor or keyboard or anything like that.

I dunno about a Jetway mobo. Maybe they have gotten better lately, but JetWay ranks down there with PCChips as far as I remember. If you are going with onboardgraphics, grab something than Intel's version.

Try this mobo: Newegg.com - ZOTAC NF610I-E-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7050 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Adding a discreet graphics card would be a better solution. since I am guessing he is not into a lot of gaming I doubt he needs a major card. Something like this would be him good and be able to pull off the eye candy of Win7 when it comes out without slowing down the computer and would allow him to run two monitors off of it:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100252HDMI Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Just an idea, building up on Trotter's suggestion of getting a discrete graphics card with passive cooling (only heatsink, no fan), instead of that case and PSU you could go for something like an Antec Sonata, which comes with a very good and relatively quiet PSU. While being far from the best Antec case, both the case and the PSU crush the Rosewill in your spec, and your dad will be very thankful for a much more quiet PC. :) The Sonata is made to be quiet, so the panels have soundproofing, etc. At 129US$ (with the Antec 500w PSU) it's more expensive, but I think it's a big upgrade for the kind of stuff your dad wants the computer for, and it will knock MANY decibels off. There is also a very good and very quiet 120mm case fan included. That PSU will also provide more headroom for any internal upgrades in the future. In my opinion, it's well worth splashing the extra 60 bucks or so if you can.

Newegg.com - Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Computer Cases

^ That is probably too expensive for his budget, and isn't needed for the kind of pc he is building. The Rosewill case is fine.

Well, I was following this logic: If his dad is anything like mine, he'll appreciate the decreased noise. There. :)

Ok Thanks guys I was a little unsure about that manufacturer for t he mobo and ATM he won't need the video card but that will be good for when he upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom