XP laptop constantly reboots, can't login, can't even open into safe mode. agp440.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewedpup

Solid State Member
Hi:
Computer normally works fine- today suddenly, the screen suddenly "folded" down and when I tried to reboot, all it would do was go through the reboot sequent, run through all the systems opening and hang on agp440.sys (I think) and then screen goes blank, starts rebooting, goes through the same thing - it offers me the option to start in safe mode, or start normally etc., but nothing I choose makes any difference - just reboots and reboots and reboots. We have a genuine XP laptop, but we are sailing in the Caribbean and don't have our installation disks with us, so we can't reinstall XP - this computer has all our charts on it and weather systems so we are desperate to get it working again - CAN ANYONE HELP? Is it a virus? We would so appreciate ANY input - as I said, if we were in civilization we could take it to a store, but we're stuck in a bay somewhere (fortunately with internet access) and we just don't know what to do. HELP!
thank you
Joanna

Re: XP laptop constantly reboots, can't login, can't even open into safe mode. agp440

After the POST screen (your manufacturer's logo), press F8 until an advanced boot menu comes up. There should be an option to disable system restart on failure. Choose that and if you get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) let us know the following info:

words in all caps at the top (e.g. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)
the STOP error code at the bottom of the screen (formatted as such: 0x000000##, where ## = some alphanumeric combination)
If there's a driver listed as well (will be <name>.sys)

Can also check out this thread to try to fix it yourself: http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-troubleshoot-specific-stop-errors-193301/ and http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/decoding-stop-errors-193078/

Re: XP laptop constantly reboots, can't login, can't even open into safe mode. agp440

After the POST screen (your manufacturer's logo), press F8 until an advanced boot menu comes up. There should be an option to disable system restart on failure. Choose that and if you get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) let us know the following info:

words in all caps at the top (e.g. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)

&&&&& the words in caps are as follows: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

the STOP error code at the bottom of the screen (formatted as such: 0x000000##, where ## = some alphanumeric combination)

&&&&&&&&&&&& STOP: 0X000000ED (0X81ADBE30,0XC0000009C,0X00000000,0X00000000)

If there's a driver listed as well (will be <name>.sys)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&& no drivers listed:
THe only thing different with this computer today from yesterday is that I installed Mozilla firefox as the browser. But the laptop worked fine for most of the day - only at about 5 pm did it start playing up - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR PROMPT RESPONSE - we're standing by....

Most likely it's a Hard Drive issue. (Bad Boot Sectors)

I've seen this on so many forums. Even if you had the disks and get into the recovery console, and stop agp440.sys from running, it will just stop at the next service and do the same thing.

You should try this. TESTDISK

Damaged Hard Disk - CGSecurity
I've seen on several forums that TESTDISK actually worked for this issue.

Oh, here are the files to download for TESTDISK TestDisk Download - CGSecurity

Hi there Havoc:
I appreciate the reply but even if I download this program, how can I get it onto that laptop? I can't get into dos, I can't get into windows, I can't do anything except watch it reboot constantly? If I could get it into c:> I would at least be happier, but no matter what option I try, safe mode, anything - nothing works, it just constantly reboots. THoughts?

How are you posting on the forums now? From a mobile device or another PC?

Hi Havoc:
SHould have mentioned this earlier - am borrowing someone else's laptop for now thank goodness, or else I'd really be in trouble. So I have a laptop to get on the internet. But OUR laptop is the one with the charts on it and weather maps and allows us to send emails through our sideband radio when we're at sea, so it's kind of vital for us..... :-(

hmm. Well, does the laptop you are borrowing have a CD burner? Chances are even if you do have a CD-Burner you won't have a blank disk.

Because you could Download KNOPPIX - Live Linux Filesystem On CD Burn it as an ISO. IT actually runs off the CD so you wouldn't need windows or the HDD.
Download a Free ISO burning software and make a bootable linux live disk.

The you could run TESTDISK from under linux.

HI Havoc: This laptop does have a CD burner - and I"m sure somehow tomorrow I could scrounge up a blank cd from someone in the bay (hopefully), but I'm not all that computer literate and what you described above kind of went over my head - linux? ISO? no idea what they are, just sounds very complex. Is it very difficult to start the computer up doing what you suggested? I'm happy to give it a go though - but am just scared of making it worse than it is....
It's 9.21 here, I have to go for now as the people whose laptop it is want to go to sleep, but will check back first thing tomorrow morning - thank you for your help, it really is appreciated

Well, it's not too difficult. It will take some time.

Essentially what you are going to so is run another operating system, "Linux - KNOPPIX" off of a CD. KNOPPIX actually comes with TESTDISK. SO you will run TESTDISK under the KNOPPIX operating system to check that Hard Drive for Issues. If it finds them it will fix them and hopefully allow you to boot to windows again.

So you'll first need to download KNOPPIX.
Then you'll need to burn it to an ISO.
Then you'll have a bootable Operating system from your CD-rom.
We'll talk about how you are going to boot to the CD-rom later.

DOES anyone know of a good FREE ISO BURNING SOFTWARE that is easy to use for a beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom