About the cheapest I can come up with for i7 rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could save quite a bit of money by getting a HD4870n 512mb. While it would be slightly slower than the GTX 260 Core 216 the lower price more than makes up for it.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

yeah i didnt think about that!!! good catch... going for cheapest/startout/upgradable... gotta keep that in mind...

otherwise... i gave up on budget and decided... if i break $1000, newegg will give me 12mo. no interest... and if i keep it under $1200 after rebate... it will be $100 a month!... so thats then new goal... here is what i got so far.

Case
Newegg.com - NZXT LEXA Blackline Series CS-NT-LEXA-BLB Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

MoBo/CPU combo
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

CPU cooler
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

RAM
Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

PSU
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

GPU
Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

HDD
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD6400AACS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - Internal Hard Drives

DVD
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

OS
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Shipped & after MIRs = 1159.58

chew on that! .........then spit back wutever you think i missed or should change.

Agreed. If you are going to do it on a budget then focus on the things that you don't want to upgrade later. IE case psu etc. Those should be really good. The ram can be cut back, same with the video card. Those can be easily upgraded. I only want to buy a psu every 2 builds and a good case should last you every 3.

Nothing wrong with the 550vx, I use one. But for an i7 you should be packing the 620hx or bigger. That system is capable of running 3 separate video cards. Your friend may not be smart enough to upgrade the psu, make it so he doesn't have to.

That's what I just said.

HAHA!

So wut do you suggest, if you read... i just was saying that i wanted to keep it under 1200... after MIR... any cases? i know of a lil cheaper ram, but thats only like 20bucks... i see wut you're saying about the psu... no problem there... but everything else look good?

wut about these cases?

Newegg.com - NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor+MX VH8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

zmat and gt thats funny cuz those the items i chose last night when i was doing a lil resurch of my own... good to know that i am on the right track now... the other question i'm kinda stuck on is which GPU to go with, cuz i have been reading a few of the posts on here saying the HD4870 outperforms the gtx260/216.... on the main game i will be playing cod5... and many others... so in your professional opinion, which of these two cards should i go with?

price wise/ pretty much even... the HD is a lil cheaper but shipping is not free.

Newegg.com - XFX HD-487A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

... every time i think i know exactly the build i wanna get... i find something i dont like. :(

Yes with the new drivers the 4870 1 gig beats the gtx 260 core 216 in 11 out of 12 tests. They were conducted at 1680x1050 and 1920x1200. I didn't check the higher res games because nobody actually games that high.

The graphics card ranking thread was updated to reflect this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom