2x2 or 4x1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say 2x2. Gives you room to upgrade later and I believe its a little faster because its easier on the memory controller.

Swings and roundabouts really. Generally you can get 1gb dimms at faster CAS timings for less thus essentially giving you faster ram however as dario said controlling 4 sticks adds some work load to the memory controller leading to slight slowdown.

Why are you asking do you have a couple of ram sticks waiting to be used up?

2x2GB for sure.

The less memory sticks you have, the more stable and overclockable it is.

it's memory controller dependant how well it works with 4 sticks compared to 2.

K10 and K10.5 CPU's can run in unganged mode (splits the 128-bit memory controller into two 64-bit memory controllers), which can increase performance with 4 sticks compared to two, since it can do multiple reads/writes to memory at a time, though bandwidth for each channel halves (but the total bandwidth won't change much)

Core 2 CPU's won't have much if any difference between 2 or 4 sticks. Some earlier K8 systems had trouble with 4 sticks, but the mid and later chips didn't.

I wouldn't worry unless you had a quad. Good thing w/ 4x1gb kits is you can actually get Micron D9's and overclock real nice. 2X2gb your most likely going to get Promos or Elpida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom