Remotely starting up a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "missing chip" is for upgrade purposes not for wake-on-lan

The only reason I said that is because in an A+ certification class they were explaining those things and I had always wondered why that chip was missing and it was explained to me that it was for the WOL, but you gotta realize they weren't buying the newest cards for the students to work on...they get the old crap to make you learn the older stuff first, thats why I said 'atleast no the ones I have bought' I haven't had to buy a network card in a LOOOOONG time, so the ones I HAD bought, needed that missing chip otherwise it wouldn't be able to have the WOL option.

If you thought it was about guys having too much money, you're missing the point.

No the point to pimp my ride is exactly that...pimp it out....and helping those who have crappy cars and to 'give back' I guess you could say to the community. All I'm saying is, my view of imaginative or the first mods of cutting wires and things looking somewhat 'ghetto' know what I mean? Like where you can tell someone put some effort into rigging something into something else that normally don't go together. Everything you listed is MEANT to go together and work with one enough but it takes a crap load of money to do.....which a lot of people would/could do IF they had that money. Regardless I think it all comes down to what one person see's 'imaginative' as which obviously we see different :D

WOL won't suit my purpose. Is there a way to relocate/add another manual switch to a laptop? My only dilemma is that the laptop screen will be closed and the power switch is inaccessible when it's closed. But, I'll be putting the laptop under the dash and it will require it to be closed. So, if I were able to get a program written that would run with windows xp that would mimic pressing the power switch when power was supplied again for less than $100, that'd work.

Otherwise, any ideas as to how I could add another manual switch to a laptop?

ehh not without doing a nice little re-wiring mod....a lot of people do it for 'stealth drive bays' and relocate the eject button so the principle would be the same as long as you know the innards of your laptop ( which I have no clue ) .....technically it should just require a little re-wiring and having a spare button to place wherever you'd like it to be I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom