1TB Hard Drive I&E Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blucube

In Runtime
Nothing was more annoying back in the day than a hard drive crapping out. Granted anymore I've never dealt with that, wasn't certain if that was old news or if I've just been lucking out. So I figured I'd bring it here to ask.

I've been looking into getting an Internal and an External hard drive in the near future. Both Preferably 1TB each. I noticed that seagates 1TB drive on newegg isn't pulling the best reputation, which is unfortunate because I've been using seagate for a while and it has been great. With that being said, I try not to put my faith in the egger's reviews alone.

Newegg.com - Fantom GD1000EU 1TB USB 2.0 / eSATA Silver GreenDrive External Hard Drive - External Hard Drives

This kind of looked like a neat external, even though all of my equipment is black

Though this was the seagate I was looking at, there are some more expensive ones that I probably should consider and just not gyp out on the price of something like this but... figured I'd see what you all think

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Also reading toms hardware they had recommended Samsung Spinpoint... this HD needs to be able to handle a lot of trash and abuse from it's user if you know what I mean...

Thanks!

Forget anything Seagate. With all the issues they've had over the last year. I would stay away from them for a while. I would go for the Western Digital myself.

Eh, the main issues they were having revolved around the 1.5tb drive. And even though I picked one up and it works fine, it's a matter of what you feel comfortable with. WD makes some great stuff regardless, so maybe look into the Black series.

Both of my 1TB drives from Seagate became bricks... it was the firmware that was the problem, not the drive itself. That's why I say, stay away. even though the problem is solved (supposedly) and mine work good now, I will not buy another Barracuda drive from them for a while...

Luckily enough I had back-ups of all my data, and got it all back, but to lose almost 2TB worth of media would have sucked.

I remember the bricking issue...you did the update and it bricked, right? They say that certain firmwares should definitely NOT be updated because they will brick them, mine being one of those.

if they bricked without the firmware update, then I understand your pain, lol. :p To each their own.

Both bricked before update Just died on me as I was copying files over. SG was nice enough to replace both drives of course, no charge to me, just not the data...

But anywho... :)

I always considered WD and Seagate the best. Samsung also seems pretty good (I have one). I bought one of the 1.5tb seagate drives during the big fiasco that they were having and it works fine. Also I believe that they had a firmware upgrade that fixed all of the drives. In any case I would think any of those 3 companies would be a good choice.

I just picked up an internal 1TB WD Caviar Black series. It's advertised as 1TB but PC sees it as a 931GB drive, 69GB less. I wish there was some REAL number they would put on the box as what to expect. Other than that I like it a lot. No problems what-so-ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom