Computer won't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David.Arinder

Beta member
Hi all. This is my first post.

First, this is my system.

Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply

G.SKILL 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Alright, here's what happened. This morning, before I left for school, I turned my computer off because I knew I would be getting more RAM before I returned home. While out, I picked up the new RAM (before today I only had 2 gigs of the aforementioned RAM, now I have 4). When I got home, I opened the case to put the new RAM in. My heatsink has never really sat right on the CPU chip, so I messed around with it for a while, finally getting it to seat right. I then blew out the entire case with compressed air. Finally, I put in the two new sticks of RAM and close the case. All excited, I press the power button and the computer doesn't come on. I open the case to see what is happening. When I press the power button, the heatsink fan, the power supply fan, and the case fan all come on for about a second before dying, and the computer remains off. I tried all I could think of to try and fix this. I unplugged and replugged everthing coming out of the power supply. I've tried without the new RAM, and with only the new RAM. Finally, I think I've found whatever is causing the problem. When I unplug the ATX_12v connector and try to turn the computer on, the fans will actually stay on, the hard drives sound like they get power, but nothing comes on the screen. If I plug the ATX_12v connector in I have the same no power problem. Basically, I'm stuck and don't know what to do. If anyone can help me fix this, or at least help me realize what is wrong, I would greatly apprciate it. I am inclined to think the problem is the mobo as I've had issues in the past that seemed linked to it (the computer kept turning off and not turning on, at the time I thought it was my cpu overheating, therefore the new heatsink). Also, if it helps at all, on the CPU slot there appears to be one or two bent pins, however this has never impeded the computer working. I tried searching for a solution and found nothing. Sorry for the wall of text, I am just tring to be thorough

Now this might seem dumb, but are you sure your new RAM is compatible with your motherboard? This is something a lot people tend to ignore when they are installing and sorting out more internal memory with their computers. Most issues for non compatible memory modules would be the speed difference and simply just too high performance for your motherboard.

There are several lists of compatible memory modules online available.

Another thing, if you could share the specifications of your new RAM with us it would be great.

Take a look at the LGA775 socket. Make sure the lever arm is secured.

You mentioning that you messed around with the heatsink and fan kinda red flags me to thinking that the CPU is not properly locked.

The way most CPU packages work is when the lever is up the whole package sides back. When it's down the package slides forward allowing the pins to make their connection with the MOBO.

It could very well be that any pressure you applied to the HS&fan might have made the pins not make proper a connection.

To be certain - I'd remove the HS&fan, take out the CPU, clean the thermal material, reapply it and walk through putting the CPU back in and reinstalling the HS& fan securely this time.

All I did with the heatsink and fan is attempt to secure it properly. While the heatsink was listed as usable with my motherboard, it's a little difficult to secure properly. The cpu was firmly locked in place the whole time, and wouldn't have been physically affected by what I was doing. Also, whenever dealing with a cpu, I'm always extremely gentle and careful. I did try and reseat it multiple times, always being careful, and it still is having the same problem. However, if the cpu connection to the motherboard is the culprit, would that explain why whenever the atx_12v is plugged in the computer doesn't start, yet when it is unplugged the fans and hard drives get sustained power (but no video on the monitor)? Again, thank you for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom