can i "copy" a hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joowan

In Runtime
I plan on getting another hard drive soon, probably a solid state, instead of going through and installing and updating OS/ and all my program and files, can i make a duplicate of my current hard drive and plug it in and go?

let me rephrase, if i copied my hard drive onto a new HD can i plug the new HD into my computer and take away the old one and would i run into any issues? i plan on copying the OS and programs not backing up files.

Yes Norton ghost or FOSG can do it.

Or DriveImage XML or PING or XXClone or ShadowCopy or Macrium Reflect or CloneZilla or Clone Maxx or Selfimage or...

I like DriveImage XML for backup images. It's nice and easy, but Clonezilla (or any of the others that come as a bootable cd) might be better for "cloning" a drive to replace an old one.

Also, check out your old drive manufacturer's website, they often have free cloning/copying software available...

How olds your instal?

Might be a good time to freshen up..

not that old, vista premium x64 with SP1 i do a clean reformat of my system every 6mo or so.

Or DriveImage XML or PING or XXClone or ShadowCopy or Macrium Reflect or CloneZilla or Clone Maxx or Selfimage or...

I like DriveImage XML for backup images. It's nice and easy, but Clonezilla (or any of the others that come as a bootable cd) might be better for "cloning" a drive to replace an old one.

Also, check out your old drive manufacturer's website, they often have free cloning/copying software available...

k, gona check around with WD while i wait for SSD prices to come down a lil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom