New Power Supply and PC won't Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoH Addict

Solid State Member
I have recently got a new PSU for my computer so i could put another GPU in (8800 GTX SLI) and after installing the new PSU the computer simply wont boot. Upon hitting the power button all the case and gpu fans start spinning but the CPU fan (a Zallaman) wont fire up and the monitor says there is no input signal (even the mother board bios wont launch). The interesting thing is that upon hitting the power button again to turn the system off the zallaman cpu fan lights up (LED) and spins for just a second before the whole system stops. I put in the old power supply and removed the new card to return the computer to its previous functioning state to find the same exact results: no cpu fan and input... What could have gone wrong? :confused: :( My step-dad thinks the processor died, plausible? Thanks in advance

specs:

900 Watt Topower PowerBird
2x 8800 GTX
Intel Q6600
EVGA 680i LT sli motherboard
4 gigs Crucial Ram

Yup, spent about 2 hours looking at all the cables hoping to find something unconnected

I have recently got a new PSU for my computer so i could put another GPU in (8800 GTX SLI) and after installing the new PSU the computer simply wont boot. Upon hitting the power button all the case and gpu fans start spinning but the CPU fan (a Zallaman) wont fire up and the monitor says there is no input signal (even the mother board bios wont launch). The interesting thing is that upon hitting the power button again to turn the system off the zallaman cpu fan lights up (LED) and spins for just a second before the whole system stops. I put in the old power supply and removed the new card to return the computer to its previous functioning state to find the same exact results: no cpu fan and input... What could have gone wrong? :confused: :( My step-dad thinks the processor died, plausible? Thanks in advance

specs:

900 Watt Topower PowerBird
2x 8800 GTX
Intel Q6600
EVGA 680i LT sli motherboard
4 gigs Crucial Ram

Well recently I had a similar problem which i posted on here. It was indeed a bad power supply. I tried my old power supply and it didnt work so orginally I thought it was the Motherboard. So I sent that back and got a new one and same exact thing. The only things that would light up are the lights by the proc plug and the fans would turn only slightly. So I said screw it let me go get this tested out and see what could be the problem.
It was indeed a bad power supply. My only thought about the other power supply not working was in my haste to put the power supply in and test that maybe i crossed wires or something so it did not work for whatever reason. I would check the power supply and make sure it is not that first and foremost. I very well doubt it is a processor problem because of the fact that you did not even mess with it correct? The only way it would have fried the proc was if it overloaded it with power and from my understanding if that would have happened you would have known.
Either A) test your PSU yourself by using a voltmeter
or B) go have it tested by those PSU checkers.
I would be willing to bet it is the PSU that you got and it was DOA.

Hmmm doesn't seem to be very likely as everything else is receiving power just fine (motherboard, GPUs and case fans) well at least these bits move and light up.... CPU was over clocked in the old setup but i reset it to stock before putting in the new PSU

Highly unlikely the CPU died. If I had to guess, it would be a dead PSU. And it doesn't matter if everything else gets power, if a rail on the main power connector isn't working, then it won't boot.

Dunno, maybe the new dead PSU blew your mobo. It's possible, but it's really hard to tell without getting a look at it...

all right thanks i suppose ill go get it tested though all the lights on the motherboard seem ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom