GTX 285 Single or SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puressence

In Runtime
Hey Guys,
I'll try to keep this short since its sort of a double post. Decided I am going with either an XFX or EVGA GTX 285 for my I7 build. Wondering if I should go with one card now and add an additional later for SLI, or to go with SLI right off the bat? Is the performance increase from SLI significant. Ive spent the better part of the evening looking for solid answers with few results.
Thanks,
-Pure

The 285 can handle most stuff on it's own...I'd only go SLI if you have loads of extra money.

^ I agree.
Though if you did want to go for the dual-285 option, personally I would go for a 295 instead, since it wouldn't be as powerful but would still be a monster.

I was thinking about that actually. The 295 handles just about everything flawlessly. It would be cheaper than dual 285s...but I think the 285 would be more than adequate on it's own.

OP, what size monitor or resolution are you gaming on? Depending on the size, you'll be fine with a single 285.

OP, what size monitor or resolution are you gaming on? Depending on the size, you'll be fine with a single 285.

22" 1680x1050(I think) 2ms. Its a Dell that I got as a gift last year. I know that the cards I am looking at are overkill for my current monitor, but I am trying to take into account a possible monitor upgrade in the future.

I'd go for a single 285 now, then when you upgrade your monitor add another for SLI.

Okay, thanks for the advice. From my research, it appears EVGA is a good manufacturer and has excellent customer support. Do you agree? Any other manufacturers I should consider? I gotta say I like the look of the xfx black edition. But looks dont affect a cards performance lol.

Very silly to sli at that resolution....stick with one GTX 285 and save the money....you will be glad you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom