Trying to build my own computer, looking for suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brodom: Some critiques on the parts you posted there;

PSU: PC Power & Cooling is a much better brand even though they are owned by OCZ. OCZ is cheaper but PSU is definitely something you don't want to cheap out on. I have heard that there can be ripples on the 12V rails. No bueno

RAM: That ram you posted is good but the one I posted is better and pretty much the same price.

HDD: That hard drive is slow. It only has an 8MB cache whereas the one I posted has a 32MB cache and is also much bigger. 250GB is pretty small for these days. Some games can take upwards of 12GB by themselves. Then factor in the OS, music, and a couple more games, and you could almost be out of room.

CPU: Don't be so quick to rule out my q9550, it is a good option in his price range. The e8500 is great too but again he wants more future proof which a quad is.

I7: I would normally tell people to go i7 but his budget is pretty tight since he needs everything so he would have to cut a lot of corners to get one. The q9550 is a better option for him. He can get more for his money I think.

and finally to Kingbobert: The old intel you had was more than likely a P4 by the way you make it sound. Those days are long over my friend. Intel is the king now and they have amazing processors pretty much no matter which one you pick.

Pinscher... thanx for the few additions/critiques. The HD and PSU you want to change... again... add cash... if he wants to go with the i7, there's really no fat to trim, but any of the others... ya i agree with you 100%. I was just giving other options... not saying not to go with your Q build, but now that you opened that door!!!! Umm... i ended up agreeing with you about the i7 because of the new socket... the Q9000 series are 775 socket... and the dual core is cheaper for basically the same performance... go ahead and fire back! i know its gunna hurt lol!

Well I priced out an i7 build that comes in at the peak of his budget. i7 though is a much better choice so see if you can afford this one:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - ASUS VW224U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ HDCP Support 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 5000:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Pioneer Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

The subtotal is $1235.91 - $100 in mail-in-rebates.

That would be one killer build.

Brodom, its not gonna hurt this time ;) you made me take a second look at the i7. I didn't realize it could be squeezed into his budget. I guess you are learning a little bit from all of this arguing ;)

I am a bit confused as to why you linked a OEM hard drive and disc drive, because OEM alwyas makes me a little nervous to buy it :S.

Original Equipment Manufacturer = OEM

Original equipment manufacturer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Computers

Beside referring to manufacturers, OEM can be used as an adjective to describe software licensed only for a particular system. OEM software is purchased alongside a system or hardware parts. Certain OEM programs have limited functionality, but most do not. OEM software is often cheaper than the full versions but not as cheap as academic or student editions.

OEM hardware is hardware packaged for computer administrator and builder use. These products are normally plain boxed and often don't come with any instructions or references provided in retail packages. Technical support for such "OEM products" is usually the responsibility of the reseller, rather than of the manufacturer.

Operating systems

There are two types of OEM when it comes to operating systems. The first is when a pre-built computer is purchased, there is an OEM disk that comes with the system, which can not be transferred to another one, because that disk is designed to run only with the specific system components. The second type of OEM operating system is one that can be transferred to any other system, without the dependence on the components.

Just a little FYI for ya.

Hey guys, thanks for all of the responses, I am taking all of this into account, I still have a few months to think about everything, but I think I am just about sure that I will go with a Quad-Core or i7 build, because Dual-Core seems like it will be obsolete pretty quick here.
And, in case I didn't mention, this computer will ONLY be used for gaming. Very little, if any music, no DVD playing, nothing like that. The only other thing besides gaming will be occasionally message boards and MSN messenger, but only when i'm on it. My old computer will still be used for storing music and dvds and stuff, so if any of these parts were suggested with versatility in mind, that is not needed. Really, I won't even need to burn anything on this computer most likely, although having the capability won't hurt, and aside from the fact I can't even FIND a drive that won't burn, I also don't think a few extra $ is that bad for burning capability. But anything else won't really need to be able to be used for anything but games, games and a side order of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom