need help buying a gaming laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbetenia1

In Runtime
I need to buy a gaming laptop for under $1,000. I know a little about desktops but i am clueless when it comes to laptops. Im pretty open to suggestions. Any help?

I purchased my most recent laptop from Sager and have been nothing but impressed. One of the best things about Sager is no bloatware. The best advice tho is to just shop around and compare. You never know who is having a sale on what and when unless you look. I'd start by checking out Sager and Newegg then compare with Dell Gateway etc... As far as what to buy just do a little research on the video cards, processors and memory (Google is always your friend) that you find inside the machines you think might be what you're looking for and then go from there. The sites I listed are just my favs if you hit up Google I'm sure you find other sites that have good deals as well.

Definitely steer clear of those Alienware laptops. For a "gaming" laptop at $1100, they only give you 1GB of RAM, a crappy 256mb 8600m GT, 160GB hard drive, and a 2.1GHz core 2 duo.

You could get this same setup for hundreds less. At $1000, here is my suggestion:
Newegg.com - ASUS N50Vn-A1B NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T5800(2.00GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 4GB Memory 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT - Laptops / Notebooks
The CPU is about the same as the Alienware, but you get 4x the RAM, a much improved video card with 1GB of video memory, and 250GB hard drive! Not to mention a 2 year warranty instead of the standard 1 year.

Definitely steer clear of those Alienware laptops. For a "gaming" laptop at $1100, they only give you 1GB of RAM, a crappy 256mb 8600m GT, 160GB hard drive, and a 2.1GHz core 2 duo.

You could get this same setup for hundreds less. At $1000, here is my suggestion:
Newegg.com - ASUS N50Vn-A1B NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T5800(2.00GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 4GB Memory 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT - Laptops / Notebooks
The CPU is about the same as the Alienware, but you get 4x the RAM, a much improved video card with 1GB of video memory, and 250GB hard drive! Not to mention a 2 year warranty instead of the standard 1 year.

Wow I did not notice those crappy specs under the customize button. I'm sorry I will reject my advice on Alienware.

so it looks like i will be getting this Asus laptop, unless anyone has a better suggestion for around that price.

I would be going for this notebook too. I got the model before it, and i love it. I just wish they release that model in Australia.
And MSI is a company I can trust. They are my second choice when it comes down to motherboard when I am building PCs. (first being Gigabyte). There is an international 2 year warranty on these units. However i will warn you that MSI does go crazy with Warranty stickers. I hope you don not have any plans for upgrading your hard drive with in the warranty period.

Apart from that issue. They are a great machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom