Trying to build my own computer, looking for suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingbobertVII

Baseband Member
Here's my build so far, it seems to be pretty reasonable and its only about 1100$ with shipping accounted for after mail-in rebates, so it wont totally destroy my bank.
I've never done this before, so I was hoping to get some suggestions as to what might work better, or even if some parts are incompatible that I have overlooked. Thanks for your help, and/or comments in advance.

LITE-ON 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model iHAP422-08 - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KSRTL 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail
Acer X193W+BD Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9DHX - Retail
XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S8P4 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX - Retail

Seems a bit overpriced for that. Are you building this yourself? The 9800 gtx is a bit old. At the least grab the 9800 gtx+ version. Also, for the same amount you could build an intel build rather than the slightly slower phenom II x3. Also, I haven't heard of that brand for a PSU, but in any case, 850W is very overkill.

Lastly, I believe drr3 ram runes in tri channel, so you'd need more like 6 gigs. ( I could be wrong on this)

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - ASUS VK221D Black 21.6" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 5000 :1 (ASCR) - LCD Monitors

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

This plus whatever case you want will make a much better build

Seems a bit overpriced for that. Are you building this yourself? The 9800 gtx is a bit old. At the least grab the 9800 gtx+ version. Also, for the same amount you could build an intel build rather than the slightly slower phenom II x3. Also, I haven't heard of that brand for a PSU, but in any case, 850W is very overkill.

Lastly, I believe drr3 ram runes in tri channel, so you'd need more like 6 gigs. ( I could be wrong on this)

i7 uses triple channel. Other chips use dual channel. Triple channel was brought in exclusively by i7 because of intel put the memory controller on the cpu and redesigned it

For the power supply , 550-650 watts should be fine. I'm unfamiliar with the brand you chose. Corsair is good.
You definitely want to change that DVD burner to a SATA model. You don't want that huge wire blocking airflow in your case. Pioneer is good.
You are going to need an aftermarket CPU cooler if you want to overclock. get a Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler.
Get OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) instead of spendy ddr3.
Get this hard drive instead. It's faster and a little larger : Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
As far as motherboards , ASUS is good , but I doubt you will use all 4 pcie slots. Get one with 2 if you want to crossfire or sli

DO LOT'S OF RESEARCH It's worth it:happy:

Ok, to the guy who gave me the intel build, that plus my case is 150$ cheaper, however, I am a bit confused as to why you linked a OEM hard drive and disc drive, because OEM alwyas makes me a little nervous to buy it :S. Also, with that I need cables, don't I?

There is nothing wrong with OEM hardware. It just comes with nothing else but the hard drive or disk drive. If you're ordering a new motherboard though, it will come with a couple sata cables to hook the hard drive and disk drive up.

Hm, well I actually am considering that guy's build, because its alot nicer to my wallet, and it has just about the same quality of stuff. Its actually alot better in parts, like the monitor is 3.5 inches bigger, and alot nicer. But I'm still a bit resistant to the idea of using Intel, the only Intel I have ever had was a major piece, whereas I have never had any huge problems with AMD.

So, if anybody has any other ideas, that would be pretty cool, or at least maybe some tweaking of his build, that is also fine. OR even some endorsement that it is entirely perfect and that I would be a fool to refuse to buy such a godly system is also fine. A cat is fine too.

Intel chips are faster and more efficient on average(and more expensive). AMD is great and costs less. I have an Intel core 2 duo e8400 which is normally at 3ghz and I easily overclocked it to 4.23ghz. This is a pretty inexpensive chip that kicks some arse. I chose this chip because I can easily upgrade in the future to a high-end quad-core when prices come down. Check out my first build. It cost less than $1000!!http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/please-critique-my-build-195998/ BTW...you sound like you're all geared up to start ordering...slow down and be absolutely sure of what you want and how to build it. Talk to people here and check out computer build videos on YOUTUBE. Good luck;)

Yeah, I am not actually going to overclock or anything, because I don't really feel like I am going to need it, and I would probably rather have that warranty than the unnecessary extra power, but I am not ready to order yet, I still have about 2 Months to decide and order, minimum. So, I am just kinda getting alot of ideas from you guys and bouncing off some of mine on you guys. Ultimately I am actually hoping for something in the range of 950-1050 with mail-in rebates, but I have about a 100$ flexibility range on that, because I realize that in order to play games on high settings, I will soon need good technology. I am also going to think of the future, I do not want to buy another in a year :cool:.

This is going to be a long a$$ Post... WARNING!!!
First off... great Intel Quad-Core build Pinscher!

Here is something to think about...

on all my builds i would chose a these...
Necessities
PSU
Newegg.com - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

GPU
Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

RAM (Except i7 build)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

HD
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

DVD
Newegg.com - Pioneer Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

You can choose whatever case you want... here a few examples of inexpensive and decent quality cases
Newegg.com - NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - APEVIA X-SUPRA G-Type X-SUPRAG-BL Black / Blue SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Ok now for a few CPU/ MoBo choices:

Intel Dual Core (cheapest equal performance)
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Intel i7 (Futureproof and HighEnd)
combo package
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

...and you will need this RAM for this CPU/MoBo
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

IF you really wanna stay AMD... use my necessities and this
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TF8200 A2+ AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

So pretty much grab the necessities, choose a case, and a cpu/mobo combo... any combo of them should fall under $1000... then worry about the monitor and os after.

and with Pinscher's choice of Display:
Newegg.com - ASUS VK221D Black 21.6" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 5000 :1 (ASCR) - LCD Monitors

Even with the i7 as your choice... you will be around $1100 shipped... after MIR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom