PC configuration - advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
SUMMARRY:
CPU & GPU:
Newegg.ca - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Mobo:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Ram:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

HDD:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Optical:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Case:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

graphic card
Newegg.ca - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I am buying on Canadian Newegg so they may have different combo deals but.......is there anything that should be (or would you) change in your opinion in this configuration? What do you thinik about NVidia 9800 GT? Asking because somebody suggested me this one but I think your sugestion is more power as has DDR5 and 800 mghz and lower price!. For me biger digit means better:) What do you think?

ok. What about Windows. Should I go with Vista 64 or 32 bit. Premium or Ultimate? or stay with XP? How is compatibility with other programs (some older) Photoshop, Corel.....games

If you already have XP you could use that and wait for the official release of windows 7, As for when it will be out is anybodies guess though. I've read it could be as early as June or as late as 2010 so you might be using the XP for a while, If you need to buy it I would go Vista 64 bit.

Dauntae

To be honest, in the $1k price range, I would go to an OEM. You will almost never be able to beat them in price because they get massive discounts for buying in huge quantities allowing them to build more machine with less money. Just be sure to get an OS disk with it (or create your restoration disk before you do anything else) and remove all the bloatware that generally comes with it.

If you really want to build your own rig, save up. One point I always make to anyone new to building (or coming back after a long time away)
Get the best single graphics card you can afford. It'll perform better than two lesser cards in the same price range and you can add a second later.

Edit: oops. Didn't mean to rez an old thread. Should have looked at the date of the last post

The Intel i7 920 is going to be your best choice, but also the most expensive, probably in the $1200 to $1500 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom