Budget gaming build

Status
Not open for further replies.

spizzle

Baseband Member
Ok I'm thinking of finally updating to a new computer. I've had my Dell forever and I think it's time to put it out to pasture. The only original pieces left are the processor and it's a socket 478 (I think that's what it is), and the 50 GB hard drive. I've gone through a couple graphics cards, a few power supplies, and a few things of RAM. As you know, you can only buy new AGP cards before it starts to be more cost effective to update to the 21st century.

Anyways, I mostly use my computer for gaming and surfing the net. I've looked at NewEgg a lot to try and figure out what to buy, but there are so many brands and models I need some help figuring out what's good or not. I know nothing about which brands and models to avoid and which are best. I'll give a little rundown of budget and what I'd like to have in this new model. Maybe you guys can help me sort out a new PC.

My old PC was a P4 2.4 ghz with 1gb of RAM and an X1600 PRO AGP card. It wasn't a powerhouse by any means but it ran most of my games pretty well. Graphics and processor power are the main worries for me, since I don't want to have to update that in 6 months, and I want to be able to run new games without worrying.

My budget would probably be around $800 at most.
I don't need a mouse, keyboard, speakers, or monitor.
CD/DVD burner would be nice
Big hard drive
A firewire to hook the camcorder up to would be cool
If the graphics card is able to run games at good settings at 1920x1080, that's a definite plus. That way I can hook my PC up to my TV. GTR2 would look sick on it.

As far as processors go, I'm not really partial to AMD or Intel. I don't know which brands better, if there is even a difference. I mostly just care about how well it works. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me out.

OK thanks for some suggestions. I've looked at this guide before on building a value gaming PC, but I don't know if the majority of these things still apply since it's almost 5 months old. I know how fast things change in the PC world, and I don't want to buy something outdated already.

Anybody have any insight on whether this guide is a good one to go by or not?

Sharky Extreme - November Value Gaming PC Buyer's Guide

^ it's a OK build, dont go with thier amd stuff. the e8500 would be best. and the 9800gtx needs to be upgraded to the + edition to compete with the 4850.

If you're not wanting to build a PC you can just buy some of the Penryn era stuff on the cheap. From HP, Dell, Gateway, and some others you can get a quadcore, 4-8 GB of RAM and a pretty decent hard drive for under $800, some come with decent cards, if they don't you'll have enough left over to buy an 8800GT or something like that. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

No I'm OK with building one. I've pretty much done it before with my old PC, so I'm comfortable with putting it all together. The only thing I'm not sure about is what stuff's the best and what's compatible with what. Hence why I'm here. I appreciate the help so far.

Jairic what exactly is the Penryn stuff? Some of those sound pretty decent. Is it the last generation of processors or something? On my computer right now the games I was playing were GTR2, Richard Burns Rally, and the occasional Silent Hunter 3. If I build a new rig I want to be able to run new games like Arma 2, Operation Flashpoint 2 (when they come out), Empire Total War, etc on high settings, and preferably at a resolution that works well on my LCD TV (42") if I feel the need.

I was looking at some other peoples threads and I put together a little list of stuff from Newegg. The only thing it's missing is CD/DVD drives and any miscellaneous cables it might need? Is onboard audio on the processor any good or should I get an external card? How does this look so far? It's going to be over my $800 budget, but oh well. I'd rather pay more up front than have to upgrade in 6 months.

Antec 900 case.
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Hard drive
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Corsair 850W PSU
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Motherboard / Gigabyte GA-EP5
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

G-Skill 4gb RAM
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66 GHZ
Newegg.com - Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Xigmatek Cooler
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I also have some Artic Silver stuff in there. All this stuff compatible and pretty decent? Not sure what to do about the graphics card. Is that one good, or if I want to use higher resolutions should I spring for a better one?

^ You don't a need that big of a power supply for that build you have, maybe somewhere between 650 watts and 750 watts.

That heatsink you picked out is a great heatsink it's what I have in my computer but if you buy it you should get this:Newegg.com - XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks This uses an x-clamp to mount the heatsink to your motherboard rather then using the crappy push pins that come with it, it will give you better temps and increase the life of your motherboard.

Nice, that saves me about $40. Is there any upside to spending the extra money and going with the higher watt PSU, or only if I plan to upgrade at some point? Are the 6 "peripheral" cords on the PSU the ones I would use to hook up to the fans in the case?

Thoughts on the graphics card or any other parts of the setup?

Thanks again for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom