"Prep'ing For the BIG FIX"(SP2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlewp

Baseband Member
I've read 2 articles in PCWorld mag. regarding the huge Windows update. Seems to me that it would not be a bad idea to do complete restore (reformat) before doing the update, as I and many others I'm sure have installed numerous updates and fixes along the way for XP in the past. Would it not go a lot smoother, at least cleaner, to start fresh before running such a huge "patch" to your system??
(just a shlub - far from geek status! )

If you are going to do a fresh install (which I chose to do on my home computer 'cause nothing's more fun that a nice clean install!) I'd recommend looking into a program like Autostreamer downloadable at http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/2/12-2-183.shtml to slipstream your XP installation.

I had never heard of slipstreaming when this program was recommended to me and I used it and it worked flawlessly. To use it, you'll need your XP CD and the network version of SP2, which can be downloaded from Microsoft.

Whether or not you *should* do a fresh install it really up to you. I think you're much less likely to have problems with it if you do... but then again, if you do have problems, it would be much harder to "go back".

-my 2 cents.

Oops, forgot to add you'll need a CD burner so you can make a new XP install disk with SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom