Bad Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Napster

In Runtime
My friend built a computer recently and its got some problems pointing to ram. It has AMD 6000+ x2 3.0ghz with 4gb of installed corsair xms memory. He has it on x86 windows vista (I know 4 gigs is pointless with 32 bit) It shows up in vista as 4gg of ram normal. Now it will work for about 30min-1 hour before I get a BSOD stating either Memory_Management or Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. After that it will bluescreen on boot every time. I ran memtest on all the ram and it failed horribly, then i ran memtest on each stick in all slots for 20min each and they all passed. I also used Hirens's boot memory testers with same results. Individuals pass but put them all together and they fail.

Could this be a heating issue? Maybe Bios configuration, or just bad ram. Im stumped

Are they all the same type of ram? Some Motherboards just dont work with 4 gigs of ram well. Does he have another motherboard to try them on?

Yes they are all Corsair xms DDR2 800s Im not sure what kind of packs he purchased them in. No he doesnt have another motherboard, I might be able to get one though. Right now im using the computer with 2 gigs of ram in slots 2 and 4 of the motherboard. The vista ram rating dropped from 5.9 to 5.8, but there are no errors with testing and Ive been using it about 45min streight now and no problems.

Nope, its all a new build and ive even cleared the cmos to try to correct another problem before. Im up to 3 gigs stable...i guess its just the 4th stick that has problems.

IMO, set the specs of the ram up in the BIOS.... AMD processors usualy need looser timings on the ram they work with than what is stated it seems like... But yea, set everything manualy in the BIOS for the RAM if possible. Then run Memtest 86+ on the suckers, all together, if they still fail, do each seperatly, in there slot... Like stick one in slot A1, stick two in slot A2, stick 3 in slot B1 and so on....

It very well could be that the processors memory controller isn't working correctly, or there is a fault on the motherboard with all four dimms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom