Not open for further replies.

blucube

In Runtime
Mobo: Rampage Formula
Ram: Corsair Dominator PC2-1066 2x2gb
GPU: GeForce 8800GTX
CPU: Q6600 (B3 rev)
CPU cooling: watercooled

I recently changed a bit of my hardware, the mobo being one of them (thanks veedub! and aspire!)

I'm sort of getting used to the asus bios but it all seems pretty similar... Thing is, I've tried a couple of different things and I can't even seem to get the system to boot at higher clocks... so far I've been leaving the RAM on auto and giving it it's asked 2.1v's... but atm for the Q6600 I can do about 3.2ghz @ 1.4v... I understand I might have a lame chip, but does anyone have any advice on clocking with the asus/rampage bios?

Also, I was going through the bios and didn't really see anything about speedstepping... however whenever I check the rate of which it's clocked on system info it says 2.13, however cpu-z notates the right mhz...

Also, I was going through the bios and didn't really see anything about speedstepping... however whenever I check the rate of which it's clocked on system info it says 2.13, however cpu-z notates the right mhz...

Edit: Things are going a little better now, I can get my damned B3 rev Q6600 to about 3.7... but my ram likes to clock it's self to about DDR900, though it's DDR1066 by nature... though.. to get the Ram to where I think it needs to be I had to drop my proc down to about 3.55 and the ram to 1067... which is fine, but it seems like the computer acts a little funny... prime95 fails the blend test instantly... however, it will run the light test...

any tips for this mobo/cpu/ram setup?

Wow dude, use the edit button, its bad form to bump your own thread.

But on to your problem. The reason your memory hits weird clocks is because of the memory divider, you can only set it to certain ratios to your fsb and depending on what your fsb is will determine you ram clock. The only time you will get you ram to exactly the same clocks as stock, is at stock, or a multiple of that number. You should try to keep your memory close to stock though. I think the thing that was holding you back was setting your memory to auto. ram speeds are directly proportional to your fsb, so when you overclock your cpu you also overclock your ram, although indirectly. By setting it to auto you probably hit a memory wall before you hit a cpu or fsb wall.

Also, your using a B3 Q6600, which wasn't that good compared to the G0.

Yeah, even though it was three times in the row the second one was a mistake... and if you notice the third one was even more of a mistake... as you see in the third one I thought I hit the edit button.

I understand the B3 revision is quite unfortunate... it's just strange the way the system responds when altering the ram clocks... when it was on auto it would stay around 900mhz actually, so it usually worked... however when I manually set it around ~1066 then I'd either run into issues at higher clocks on the CPU... or the computer would just respond a little strangely, slow inital boot speeds etc...

overclock one at a time. Find your daily clock w/ the ram underclocked. Test it and if it stable just right it down. Then go overclock your ram and test it. Find a happy median. If I can remember correctly for 400 fsb stable for my G0 chip I had
CPU PLL 1.6
Loadline calibration On
FSBT 1.3-1.4v
NB 1.3v,SB/SB 1.5v I left stock
CPU reference voltage 0.63x
NB reference voltage 0.67x
Transaction booster Disabled (this can affect memory frequencies if left on enabled at higher clocks)
DRAM static read Disabled

Yeah gave those a shot, with the particular way I was setup to begin with I was not able to boot up properly... I figure it's because when I disabled Transaction booster the performance option is set at 5, probably need to raise that...

though when I just left transaction booster the way it was, and adjusted the other settings I booted fine, but everything was pretty sluggish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom