Media/gaming computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkop16

Daemon Poster
hey guys,

Im trying to build a media and gaming computer. Im trying to build a gaming computer that I can plug into a LCD TV via HDMI so I can play downloaded movies and blue-ray movies on.

The only thing is I only want to plug in the HDMI so it needs to have audio on it. So I can't just use a DVI to HDMI converter.

Ive looked at the motherboards with HDMI port but they leave alot to be desired.

Any help?

thanks,
darkop

The radeon 2xxx, 3xxx, and 4xxx series cards have the DVI to HDMI converter and it does do sound so you could get one of those cards. Also what kind of games are you going to be playing?

What about the SPDIF cable? It comes w/ your ati card and it should be plugged in from the audio source. You should then be able to use the convertor to get sound from your video card.

I looked at all the graphics card but none of them had a HDMI port and how would the DVI to HDMI converter work...I thought DVI was only display output...not display and audio like HDMI.

thanks,
darkop

EDIT: OK Ill be honest with you guys now. I am building this for my Uncle and he is bound and determined to only have one cable running to his TV. I figured I could just get a DVI to HDMI converter with any graphics card and plug it in to the TV, then plug in a cable from the sound card (planning on putting in my old SB audigy 2 zs) to the TV and there you go. But my Uncle only wants one cable. So that is my delima.

I looked at all the graphics card but none of them had a HDMI port and how would the DVI to HDMI converter work...I thought DVI was only display output...not display and audio like HDMI.

thanks,
darkop

EDIT: OK Ill be honest with you guys now. I am building this for my Uncle and he is bound and determined to only have one cable running to his TV. I figured I could just get a DVI to HDMI converter with any graphics card and plug it in to the TV, then plug in a cable from the sound card (planning on putting in my old SB audigy 2 zs) to the TV and there you go. But my Uncle only wants one cable. So that is my delima.

If you have an ATI card once you get the converter all hooked up and plugged into the TV all you should have to do set your default audio device to HDMI and it should work, I've used it with an 2600PRO and an HD 4850. I know with some Nvidia cards you can do HDMI with sound thorough the card but you have to have a separate cable from the card to your audio device inside the computer, I've never used one so I don't know much about them.

Hmmmm...Ok.

Ive never built a media center either so I am new to this, too. I originally told my uncle I would build him a sweet computer but then he asked it to be HDMI compatible and I was like uh-oh :p.

But anyways, if I could convince him that it will need more than one cable, I mean it should just be as simple as a regular DVI to HDMI converter and a analog cable from the sound card to the back of the TV. Can someone confirm that there is a connection on the back of LCD TV's that I can plug the sound into from the audigy 2 ZS?

That is what I was originally thinking when he said he wanted HDMI.

thanks,
darkop

EDIT: Well my uncle found a mobo that he thinks might work:

Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q-EM LGA 775 Intel G45 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

I know it is a micro but must of the mobos with HDMI are micro. So how would that work with a graphics card and a onboard HDMI? Any conflicts with using both. One to the TV and the graphics card to the monitor.

Yeah but thats a 3450. I wanted to get him something with a little more power like the GTX 260 or at least a GTX 9800.

Honestly, now that I am looking for this stuff to build a media/gaming rig, it seems like it is either or but not both. What I mean is that you can't have both. All the gaming hardware is geared to gaming on a computer monitor and not through hdmi. Where as there are quite a few micro ATX mobos with hdmi which Im sure would fit nicely in one of those "VCR" like cases to make a media center.

So what Im trying to ask is this going to work or should I tell my uncle to just let me build him a gaming rig for now and later try to build him a media center with a mobo that has a hdmi port hooked up to a blue ray?

You can do both in the same rig. I thought you were just going for the movie angle... didn't realize he wanted to game, too. Any of the 3xxx and 4xxx cards from ATI can do it, as long as it has a HDMI port native on it. The 4830 is a great card, as is the 4850 and 4870. or the X2 versions for that matter.

Well Im glad I looked cause there is a really good deal on a 4870:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

And it comes with a HDMI adapter, but please explain how it works. I mean it can't possibly push audio through that cause DVI does not use audio...right? So how will I get the audio to the LCD TV? I will be using an old audigy 2 ZS for sound, too. Also will this HDMI converter display a true 1080p image? My uncle is really big on making sure this thing can push out a true 1080p image so want to make sure.

Also here is the TV my uncle wants if it helps:

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG ToC 46" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV w/ DNIe - LN46A650

thanks,
darkop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom