What in the world is going on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidewalk

Baseband Member
I apologize if this is not in the correct sub-forum.

My laptop fan has been quite loud for the past few months, so I bought a bottle of compressed air to spray off any dust that may have been surrounding it. Not only did it not work whatsoever, it made my computer WORSE.

The colors on my screen are screwing up worse than you would believe. I've never seen this happen before (on any computer), so it's quite difficult to explain. I took this screenshot to give you an idea:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2mbcoz.jpg

Notice that stupid crap in the upper left-hand corner. Now picture that blinking all over your entire screen, keeping you from working/reading/ANYTHING! When I change my desktop background, it momentarily fixes it. The same goes for dragging and highlighting with my mouse. Weird, huh?

Anyway, it's gotten consistently worse over the past couple days. Did I spray the wrong part with the air? How can I fix it? Please help, this is the most obnoxious computer problem I've ever dealt with. :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

What are your system temperatures?

If you ask me, I would guess that your GPU is overheating.

That is your graphics processor failing. whether you have onboard graphics or a dedicated card, it's going to die. If you can, try hooking up your laptop to an external monitor, and if it does it on there as well, then look at either replacing your video, or getting a new laptop. Most onoboard graphics require replacing the whole motherboard, and will be more costly and time consuming than out-right buying a new laptop, depending on what type you have.

Hello,

What are your system temperatures?

If you ask me, I would guess that your GPU is overheating.

It is very, very, very, extremely hot. Unbelievably hot.

But couldn't I just buy a new fan?

That is your graphics processor failing. whether you have onboard graphics or a dedicated card, it's going to die. If you can, try hooking up your laptop to an external monitor, and if it does it on there as well, then look at either replacing your video, or getting a new laptop. Most onoboard graphics require replacing the whole motherboard, and will be more costly and time consuming than out-right buying a new laptop, depending on what type you have.

Thanks for the info, but I honestly don't think it's this complicated, y'all. It just started when I cleaned the inside of my computer. Couldn't I have accidentally scratched or loosened the cable that connects the LCD screen to the logic board? Or something? I don't know.. but I do know that I am not going to waste my money on something I could've fixed cheaply, considering my financial woes, as well as the state of our economy.

Wonder if you just moved the dust from one to the other.

Get a tear down manual and check it out.

That's what I'm thinking, but what do you mean, "from one to the other?"

Thanks a lot, guys. Mucho appreciato. :happy:

He means that you might have blown all the dust from one fan to another, from what I see in your screenshot, it's your GPU all right, it's probably overheating as people say, and that's what's causing the artifacts. From your first post, one of the possible scenarios is that you didn't blow all the dust out, and instead it's all stuck somewhere causing ventilation problems that in turn cause your GPU to overheat

I have seen that before, and it was the actual LCD screen it self.... But if it is that hot, it is possible the dust has jammed up a fan. If you can, and have patience, and so on, take the laptop apart, and clean the heatsink out. Otherwise... GPU = toast.

He means that you might have blown all the dust from one fan to another, from what I see in your screenshot, it's your GPU all right, it's probably overheating as people say, and that's what's causing the artifacts. From your first post, one of the possible scenarios is that you didn't blow all the dust out, and instead it's all stuck somewhere causing ventilation problems that in turn cause your GPU to overheat

So, how many fans are there? So basically I just need to

a. find a site that shows a blueprint of my exact computer and model (anyone recommend a site?)
b. find the correct tool to take it apart (haha, some star shaped thing?)
b. take it apart and hope I know how to put it back together in working order

I hope it's as simple as it sounds. :cool:

I have seen that before, and it was the actual LCD screen it self.... But if it is that hot, it is possible the dust has jammed up a fan. If you can, and have patience, and so on, take the laptop apart, and clean the heatsink out. Otherwise... GPU = toast.

Thanks, everyone. It's blinking as I type this now. I can't stand it much longer. I sure hope Home Depot has the tool I need.

PS: Y'all build computers, but I've never even seen the inside of one. Do you even recommend me doing this in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom