1st Game PC Build-- Budget System = Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...so I just crunched the numbers...and together, and I mean everything minus the monitor (That monitor you suggested Pinscher is stellar!) comes out to $875.

That is a relief.

Im pretty sure that all newer mobos will come with that shield... if you look in the pictures you can see that they both come with shield. haha you have to remember on those comparison thing-i-ma-bobs, just because its not listed, doesn't mean it doesnt come with it... i primarily did that comparison to compare package contents... haha, which, one was listed... the other wasnt... wtf? that's why i said... iono bro

and pinscher... i "was" looking to build an AMD rig, a Phenom II 4x core 3.0ghz and the mobo i found for that build took ddr2... so i could go that direction if i wanted to upgrade...

what do you think of meeing in the middle? going AMD Quad-Core?

and scarecrow, remember that you have a few mail in rebates.

+1 for Pinscher's i7 build. It's the best option in the long run since i7 will be the top cpu for quite a while.

Scarecrow: I am a student too with very little money and I just saved up for the i7. I still gotta say, especially since you are looking for this to last awhile, if you could find some random jobs and stuff to get that extra couple hundred for the i7, it would be well worth it. Maybe you could ask for an early bday present or something? Oh and I'm seein it Friday night in IMAX!! Its gonna be sick!! I just missed the thursday night, sold out right before I got a chance to get tickets. IMAX is gonna be amazing though!!

Brodom: I don't know as much about AMD as alot of others here do but I know that they are now a pretty decent option if you can't go i7. That might be something to consider but I would ask around first because others know more about the new AMDs than I do.

Ugh I know it is!

I REALLY want to do that kind of a build (Especially for the price!).

But 300 dollars = 3 months of food. Lol...measuring it THAT way...

My priorities change. X )

Sorry for the double post in advance!

True true Pinscher. My compounded finances are due to school, school in Paris this summer (which is killing my savings lol), and the cpu. Hah I will DEFINITELY have to scrounge for money.

But it makes complete sense to spend the extra 300 and not have to spend much of anything for an upgrade that wont be required for 3 years.

I will have to ponder this heavily. Quite an intense decision...

Lol well good luck deciding. What kind of school are you in? Oh and if you need to post twice in a row, just hit the edit button

Well put it this way... as far as AMD (and all the quad cores for that matter) they run at a higher wattage... so on a full load they will run hotter than a dual core... and i remember some of the guys talking about waiting untill they get the guads running at lower W's to buy... that was a partial reason for not going quad... and if i did go quad i would wanna go water cooled... all in all... = better performance in the future? maybe, but i know it = more cash for equal if not less performance today...
ive heard of the e8500 being ran at 4.0ghz consistantly and 4.2 for gaming... which brings me to the next part...

AMD vs Intel... from what i'm told... its mostly about OCing... because there is more known about overclocking intel cpu's, wut mobos to use, etc... i havent heard wut the i7 is OCing at... but the Phenom II is OCing at 3.6-3.8 (from what i hear)

like another guy was telling me... by the time the 775 socket is outdated and you have future proofed for the new socket... there will be an even newer one... that if you want the better newer cps of tomorrow... you will still have to upgrade your mobo, and then there will be people having the same debates about the i7 vs. tomorrows cpu, as our 2 vs 4 core...

thats pretty much how it was explained to me... so have your opinion... im not saying you are wrong or i am right... just saying... im not convinced. Thats all.
lol

**If i had $1200 to spend i think i could make a freaking bad a$$ i7 system tho!!!

Dammit... i never even read this post PINSCHER!!! haha My cap was $800, i went a lil over but only by 40(with shipping)...

Well watercooling is only necessary if you're looking for better overclocks or you just want better temps. I have it and I absolutely love it but its not necessary.

About the sockets, AMD and Intel don't usually change their sockets very often at all. I think AMD went through a few lately but thats the exception. LGA775 lasted a REALLY long time and 1366 will too. Sockets don't change very much, CPU technology does on the other hand. But if you were to get an i7 build, you would have the newest socket that will be around for years to come. The e8500, if clocked really high MIGHT outperform an i7 on some games but not by any noticeably amount so IMO, it is better to get an i7 that will perform very very well on games and amazing on every other program. The debates will eventually come as to whether to get i7 or the next best thing but that day isn't here and it will be a little while before it comes so why not get the i7 when it really isn't very expensive for the performance you're getting and you will be future ready with the new socket. Thats my 2 cents

like another guy was telling me... by the time the 775 socket is outdated and you have future proofed for the new socket... there will be an even newer one... that if you want the better newer cps of tomorrow... you will still have to upgrade your mobo, and then there will be people having the same debates about the i7 vs. tomorrows cpu, as our 2 vs 4 core...

Lga1366 is a pretty safe bet as far as upgrades is concerned. The next major cpu release that will top i7 is gulftown which will be 32nm, have 6 cores and use the lga1366 socket and x58 motherboards just like i7. It won't be out until sometime in 2010 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom